"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Yet Another Wall Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, March 20, 2012, 10:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

ebay link

This just appeared with a $59.95 BIN, and I couldn't help myself.  The seller claims that the 'mercedes' dial works well.  I now have metal dial wall phones from SC, Kellogg, and AE.

Larry

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

Sargeguy

Let me see what I have in the parts bin. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

Nice find (of the month) I'd say! The Merceded Dial puts the deal over the top. I don't think that I have ever stumbled upon a BIN on ebaY that I didn't have to think about at all. The BIN's I see are always $800 for an AE 40 (without any chrome).

Terry

Doug Rose

94 seconds on eBay. This must be a record! Nice hit....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Doug Rose on March 22, 2012, 09:33:17 AM
94 seconds on eBay. This must be a record! Nice hit....Doug

I didn't realize that it had been listed for such a short time.  I guess that I am getting to be almost as good as Janet ;)

Larry

LarryInMichigan

The phone arrived today.  It is surprisingly clean and in very good condition.  The back of the transmitter is dated "JUN 25".  I gave the phone a quick test drive.  The dial needs some help returning, which will hopefully be remedied by minor cleaning and oiling, but I was able to call my voice mail and leave a message.  The sound quality on both ends was excellent (for a 1920s transmitter).  I think that I did well on this one.

The finger wheel on the mercedes dial is painted black.  Was that normal, or did someone paint it later?

Larry

stub

Larry,
          NICE  AE 21 !!!!!!!!!!!  I have 3 of the Mercedes dials and each one is different - one painted black, one nickel plated and one in chrome, so I don't know which is correct ???   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Quote from: stub on March 24, 2012, 11:31:25 PM
I have 3 of the Mercedes dials and each one is different - one painted black, one nickel plated and one in chrome, so I don't know which is correct ???   

Probably they are all correct but that's just a guess. By the way, I have NO Mercedes dials. Do you want to swap Forum handles with me Ken?

Terry

stub

Terry,
   Thanks. I'll just keep what i have.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

LarryInMichigan

This latest phone brings my mercedes dial count to three, but one of them (from a step-base stick) has a broken ratchet spring.  I am in the process of trying to figure out how to repair it.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Can you show a picture of the broken spring?
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

Here is a picture of the broken spring.

Larry