News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New Northern Electric Phone - not sure what kind it is -> Uniphone #1

Started by canuckphoneguy, March 28, 2012, 06:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canuckphoneguy

I just bought this really nice NE Phone today for $50 from someone off Kijiji. It's in great condition. I just need to add a wire to plug it into the wall. (I hope it's not too hard) - I'm assuming there's diagrams somewhere on this forum if I need help.

Can anyone give me a bit of info on this phone? Age? When was it made? The dial is like my AE 50 dial - not sure if that's right.

LarryInMichigan

That is a NE Uniphone No 1.  There are probably dates on the internal parts.  I think that they were made from the late 30s to late 40s.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 28, 2012, 06:48:54 PM
Can anyone give me a bit of info on this phone? Age? When was it made? The dial is like my AE 50 dial - not sure if that's right.

This is a Northern Electric Uniphone no. 1. These were manufactured pretty well in the date range of the 302 in the US. Northern manufactured these for sale to independant companies, while at the same time manufacturing 302s for sale to Bell companies. They were really big in the Atlantic provinces with WE dials, and big in the West (Alberta, Manitoba, etc.) often outfitted with GPO dials to match the GPO exchanges in use out there.

On the base of the phone, unless it has rubbed off, you will see the No. 1 - all parts should be dated.

Number 1 was available in two versions, one without a dial, and one from the factory with a Northern dial - the catalog had drawings for fitting Northern, AE, and GPO dials. Telcos would order a dial-less one and fit whatever dial they chose to them.

Put Uniphone in the search box - you will find many discussions about them here on the Forum.

See also: http://www.islandregister.com/phones/telephone3.html

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

canuckphoneguy

I just opened it up - it's dated 9/11/50. The ringer doesn't work - but I know I just have to move a few wires around.

DavePEI

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 28, 2012, 08:16:19 PM
I just opened it up - it's dated 9/11/50. The ringer doesn't work - but I know I just have to move a few wires around.
Yes, just the same as a 500 or 302. It is set up for party line ringing. Not remembering the colours of the wires, just check to see that the ringer comes in L1, and that the other ringer wire comes through the condenser and back out to L2.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 28, 2012, 06:48:54 PM
I just bought this really nice NE Phone today for $50 from someone off Kijiji. It's in great condition. I just need to add a wire to plug it into the wall. (I hope it's not too hard) - I'm assuming there's diagrams somewhere on this forum if I need help.

Try this link for wiring diagrams and information:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=640&Itemid=2

HowardPgh

The AE dial is probably correct. Be aware that it might not be your everyday AE dial as the shunt spring setup is different, it is set up to act like a 5H dial.
I think it has four springs(leafs) as opposed to the three in a normal type AE dial. You'll notice the difference when you study the wiring diagram.
Howard

PS Really nice phone.
Howard

canuckphoneguy

I've tried the Red to L1 and Green to L2 and it won't ring. I'm uploading a picture just in case I'm doing something wrong! Please help and thanks everyone  ;D

DavePEI

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 29, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
I've tried the Red to L1 and Green to L2 and it won't ring. I'm uploading a picture just in case I'm doing something wrong! Please help and thanks everyone  ;D

Yes, but don't forget that 1/2 of the capacitor has to be in series with one of the leads from the ringer. To do this, a lead from the capacitor and to the ringer is tied to the square terminal strip below. See the scans of the drawings someone linked above. It will show the exact wiring.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

There should not be that yellow wire on terminal R of the 101A induction coil.  Chances are it is the capacitor Yellow wire, and if you move it to L2 Y on the coil, you might get some ringy-dingy.

-Bill G

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: Phonesrfun on March 29, 2012, 08:24:27 PM
There should not be that yellow wire on terminal R of the 101A induction coil.  Chances are it is the capacitor Yellow wire, and if you move it to L2 Y on the coil, you might get some ringy-dingy.

Do you mean I should move the yellow wire that's with the other red (top right) to the L2 Y where there's already 2 yellow cords?

Thanks! I'm still bad at this wiring!!

canuckphoneguy

Here's where I'm at with the wiring: The first phone is the Galion that I'm trying to get to ring. So far, no luck.

The second phone is my 302. It rings. I tried to move the wires in my Galion to be exactly like the 302, but no luck.

Any other help would be most appreciated! I'm a bad fixer-upper.

DavePEI

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 29, 2012, 08:51:17 PM
Here's where I'm at with the wiring: The first phone is the Galion that I'm trying to get to ring. So far, no luck.
Not a Galion - different company (North Electric) This is a Northern ELectric No. 1 Uniphone.... Just follow the wiring in the diagram. Don't try to copy a 302.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

HowardPgh

That extra yellow wire may be a white(connected to dial R) wire which should go to L1.  The 2 yellows go to L2.  The R on the induction coil should only have the red wire from the receiver cord.
I looked at the picture of the Uniphone again where you rewired it.
The white wire from the laced together bundle of wires goes to L1. The two yellows to L2. Looks like you have L1 &L2 shorted with the spade lug.
Howard

canuckphoneguy

Thanks for everyone's help - still no luck. At least it looks nice :)