"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WANTED: AECO-Branded 4-Prong 283B Plugs/Jacks

Started by KaiserFrazer67, March 25, 2017, 01:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KaiserFrazer67

Hi everyone,

Just picked this little gem up on eBay, and I'd sure like more of them.  Cost was around $14.  I honestly don't know if that's a high or low price (I'm thinking the former), since it's the first one I bought (and not the nicest one I've seen, but it'll do for a start).  It had a good, clean beige line cord on it, which is now on one of my AE 80 "beige tanks" with a standard plain ivory 283B plug.  At least I was able to make good use of the cord which came with it.

I don't know what colors the AECO-branded ones came in; I've only seen the brown.  I'll take those, plus beige, black and white also if they exist.  I also don't know if AECO-branded 4-prong jacks exist, but I'd be interested as well (again, the above colors).

EDIT:  Unbeldi's post below shows these came in brown and ivory.  I prefer the brown--especially the wall jacks, since brown will blend in better with the woodwork in my house; but I will take either brown or ivory AECO-diamond-logo plugs.  I'm interested in both types of wall jacks, too.  (If the wall jacks don't have the AECO diamond on them, that's fine. I'm thinking that they would probably just have the small, conjoined "Æ" molded in the back or inside somewhere.)

Please send me a PM if you have any for sale.  I can do PayPal or a USPS Postal Money Order.

Thanks much!
-Tom from Oakfield, Wisconsin --  My CO CLLI & switch: OKFDWIXADS0--GTD-5 EAX

"Problems are merely opportunities in workclothes." -Henry J. Kaiser

unbeldi

The 1962 AE catalog lists them only in brown and ivory.

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: unbeldi on March 25, 2017, 01:58:06 PM
The 1962 AE catalog lists them only in brown and ivory.

Thanks for posting the picture, Unbeldi!  That helps a lot.  I'd be interested in both colors, and both types of wall jacks, especially the brown.  :)

unbeldi

Quote from: KaiserFrazer67 on March 25, 2017, 02:17:12 PM
Thanks for posting the picture, Unbeldi!  That helps a lot.  I'd be interested in both colors, and both types of wall jacks, especially the brown.  :)

Both jacks and plugs can usually be found on eBay almost any time. But usually they are expensive in single quantities; it's better to wait and find a sale of a whole box of them. I've got them that way for about $1 or $2 a piece.   I don't know how important it is that they be made by AE, and I can't image that independent companies bought them only from one source.

Jim Stettler

I think they produced matching color  4 prong plugs with the AE diamond logo. This would be in the AE 80's era.
JMO,
Jim S
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: unbeldi on March 25, 2017, 05:47:59 PM
...I don't know how important it is that they be made by AE, and I can't image that independent companies bought them only from one source.
My collection is gravitating towards AE, and I specifically want the plugs, at least, with the AECO diamond molded on them.  I've got lots of "plain-Jane" generic 283B plugs (doesn't everyone?).

(Besides, that logo is kinda cool...  8) )

Wall jacks, obviously not as important that they are made by AE; but it would be nice if I could find some anyway.  :)

AE_Collector

I don't think that I have ever seen a plug branded AECo. All we ever had here was the Ivory unmarked plugs and jacks.

Terry

KaiserFrazer67

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 25, 2017, 11:04:44 PM
I don't think that I have ever seen a plug branded AECo. All we ever had here was the Ivory unmarked plugs and jacks.
Terry
I think that is the vast majority of them, but the AECO-branded ones are out there, at least brown ones are.  First place I saw one was here on the forum.  Here's a link to JorgeAmely's beige AE80 with a very nice brown AECO-branded plug:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3365.msg44738#msg44738
Caption says "made (or perhaps licensed) by WE" but I think he meant to type "AE."  The part of my plug with the molded-in prongs has the conjoined "Æ" in a circle on it on the terminal side, which was evidently molded into every plastic part they made which didn't have the diamond logo already on it, at least on all the AE parts I've found:

paul-f

I pulled this ivory plug off a WE set found at a flea market many years ago and put it right on the display shelf, having never seen one before. Hopefully there are more out there.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Jim Stettler

The one i am thinking of was the same logo and was light blue.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.