News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

List of Pulse Dialing Capable ATAs and Hardware.

Started by dc4code, May 03, 2018, 12:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

Pulse dialing capable ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) list

Combined List of Posted ATAs
(alphabetical order - updated 3/12/2024)

- Audio Codes MP-114 FXO
- Cisco VG202
- Cisco VG204
- Digium IAXy s101I
- Dinstar DAG1000-4S4O *
- Dinstar DAG1000-8S8O (Untested, Should work.)
- Draytek VigorTalk ATA-24
- Grandstream GXW-4004 (4 Ports)
- Grandstream GXW-4008 (8 Ports)
- Grandstream GXW-4216 (16 Ports)
- Grandstream GXW-4224 (32 Ports)
- Grandstream GXW-4248 (48 Ports)
- Grandstream HT502 (2 Telephone Ports)
- Grandstream HT503 (1 Telephone Port, 1 CO Port)
- Grandstream HT704 (4 Telephone Ports) **
- Grandstream HT701 (1 Telephone Port)
- Grandstream HT702 (2 Telephone Ports, current firmware)
- Grandstream HT-801
- Grandstream HT802 (2 Telephone Ports with in-call DTMF, current firmware)
- Grandstream HT812 (2 Telephone Ports with in-call DTMF, current firmware)
- Grandstream HT-818 (8-port FXS)
- Innomedia MTA6328-2Re
- Linksys RTP300 (Before Firmware Version 3)
- Minitar MVA11A
- Motorola VT-1005
- Primus Lingo iAN-02EX
- UTStartCom iAN-02EX

* Works but In-call DTMF Generation is very weird, I don't 100% recommend but other then that it's a decent ATA that puts a nice 4 REN on the line and works with NEON MWI! FXO Outpulsing in Pulse works great. Good for an SxS switch to get on NPSTN or C*NET.

** Untested Should work, according to Grandstream

=====================

So far here is my Pulse dialing capable ATA list:

- Minitar MVA11A
- Grandstream HT502 & GXW-4008
- Primus Lingo iAN-02EX
- Innomedia MTA6328-2Re
- Motorola VT-1005
- Audio Codes MP-114 FXO
- Digium IAXy s101i
- Linksys RTP300  (Before firmware version 3 I believe)

dc4code

I have a few clients who want to use their rotary phone and I have had great success with the HT502!

Sigmaz

I have five of them. (2 online right now)
They work great!

Bay Area Doug

My additions to your list at the bottom:

- Minitar MVA11A
- Grandstream HT502 & GXW-4008
- Primus Lingo iAN-02EX
- Innomedia MTA6328-2Re
- Motorola VT-1005
- Audio Codes MP-114 FXO
- Digium IAXy s101i
- Linksys RTP300  (Before firmware version 3 I believe)
- Grandstream HT702 (current firmware)
- Grandstream HT802, HT812, (HT814 should work not tested) both with in-call DTMF (current firmware)

dc4code

dc4code

also add the grandstream HT701 (current firmware)

dc4code

Quoting the CRPF user kb3pxr on an old post about ATAs:

"As of March 6, 2018, all current generation Grandstream devices with FXS ports will support Pulse dialing. The 500 series, current UCM models (DAHDI), and all devices with 8 or more ports support pulse dialing by default and do not require any configuration changes. All devices with 4 or more ports, except the HandyTone 704 support pulse dialing without additional configuration.

For Handytone devices in the 70x and 80x series Pulse dialing and High ring power are disabled (or not present) by default. To obtain this functionality you must upgrade the firmware to a compatible (ideally latest) version and select yes for "Enable High Ring Power" and "Enable Pulse Dial" on the respective interfaces in the configuration. It has also been reported that the HT802 does not disable pulse dialing capabilities during the call therefore having the effect of using a Pulse to Tone converter.

HT814 and HT818 in the Handytone series support pulse dialing by default and is not configurable, as of Firmware version 1.0.5.11 the HT814 also supports high ring power. Scant details are available on firmware 1.0.5.18 for the HT818.

All Grandstream devices with 16 or more ports seem to support both High ring power and pulse dialing without any configuration. Most Grandstream devices with 24 or more ports also support Neon message waiting lamps.

For gateway devices containing 16 or more ports, pulse dial support is usually hard to find documentation on and may be one sentence in the administration guide to the effect that Pulse dialing is supported. In the 16 port and higher range, additional features can be configured. Many devices start supporting additional Visual MWI modes (Neon and Polarity), feature code customization (enable, disable or change code), and even MultiFrequency (as in Blue Box) signaling. of course, these are enterprise grade devices and are priced accordingly.

I also mentioned DAHDI earlier. Many interface cards for Asterisk PBX systems use the DAHDI (Formerly zaptel) drivers and use similar hardware. Pulse dialing, high ring power, and various message waiting schemes can be configured. Neon is a bit tricky though. On DAHDI, you must select the HVAC (or neon alias) mode instead of HVDC. The output from the SLIC is in fact DC. If you read the source code (and the referenced technical document) you will find that the Neon (HVAC) mode turns on the ringing generator at 4 Hz for 1/8th of a second (half a cycle) to flash the neon light. These cards are not cheap, and the functionality of the cheap Chinese versions are unknown (My PBX is a Raspberry Pi 3).

Note about Grandstream's "Enable High Ring Power" setting: Grandstream devices that have, or later receive this setting operate their ringing generators at a reduced voltage presumably to save power. The hardware capability to run at the higher voltage is not removed and is later made available again in software. While this causes ringing difficulty with mechanical bells, this can be overcome on Western Electric C-type (I haven't tested P or M types) by changing the bias spring adjustment to the weak setting, I haven't had my Automatic Electric equipment connected in about a decade so I haven't tested it."

Src: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=14175.30

compubit

I have an unlocked HT-802 and updated the firmware today - and now  it works with my German FeTAp 791 (weinrot - "wine red" in color) rotary, so now I can use that phone!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

markosjal

My absolute favorite for Pulse dialing is the UTStarcom IAN-02ex.  You erroneously refer to this as Primus-Lingo but the manufacturer is UTStarcom. Primus aka Lingo used this on their service years ago.

With my grandstream it gets very picky about dial speed even when they are well with 10% tolerance. I believe this has somethingto do with pulse duration.

Also add to the list Motorola VDV-21 and VDV 22 These units may be available as "unlocked" Vonage units but are not for the faint of heart to program. The pulse detections seems good on them but have done little testing.

Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

dc4code

Quote from: markosjal on August 13, 2018, 12:44:41 PM
My absolute favorite for Pulse dialing is the UTStarcom IAN-02ex.  You erroneously refer to this as Primus-Lingo but the manufacturer is UTStarcom. Primus aka Lingo used this on their service years ago.

With my grandstream it gets very picky about dial speed even when they are well with 10% tolerance. I believe this has somethingto do with pulse duration.

Also add to the list Motorola VDV-21 and VDV 22 These units may be available as "unlocked" Vonage units but are not for the faint of heart to program. The pulse detections seems good on them but have done little testing.

Yeah I know I said it wrong but this forum wont let me edit!! Kinda annoying!

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

=====================

I can't read minds, know not much about these and in no way going to spend time to try and figure out what the correct "name" would/should be. The above quoted reply is way too confusing for me to act on.

So, instead of confusing an error in a mixed message, simply reply to this topic as follows:

In the combined list of adapters in the first post

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20386.msg208673#msg208673

the Primus Lingo iAN-02EX should be UTStarcom IAN-02ex

and the list will be updated. Nothing more and nothing less for a correction. I don't know if the example just above this paragraph is the correct change so I will not make any changes until a simple, straightforward reply with the correction is posted. Also, I do not read old posts to pick up corrections. Corrections MUST be added as a reply and as shown in bold blue above.

=====================

To add an item to the combined list, simply state each model number by itself, such as this example:

Please add these adapters to the combined list in the first post:

Motorola VDV 21
     Motorola VDV-22

Any description or comments on the added item(s) can be put into the reply asking to add the item(s). Simple as that.

=====================

I'm just asking for reasonable member help when updating (adding or correcting) this or any such lists on the forum. Please make it easy for me or I promise the correction will not be made. I don't have the time to do anything other than realize a correction or addition has been posted and then make the change. A no brainer thing for a no brainer Global Moderator to do.

Quote from: dc4code on August 14, 2018, 09:44:57 AM
Yeah I know I said it wrong but this forum wont let me edit!! Kinda annoying!

Yeah, and you can thank one of our ex-forum members. This goes back to the Bad Apple Wars of July-September 2017 as many members who were active in that period and are reading this now may remember.

We once trusted all members to edit any of their posts regardless of how old it was based and that turned out to be a false assumption, that any and all members could be expected to do no harm to the forum. Anyone can PM me if they don't understand the content behind this context and I will explain in full detail.

Bottom line, members are no longer allowed to edit their posts after one week to protect the forum.

andy1702

You're spot on! It's sometimes called the "make / break ratio" and it's slightly different between the US and UK. I had problems getting a UK dial trimphone to work with a Grandstream ATA, however some other dial phones did work. Eventually I was told to squeeze the pulse contacts on the trimphone's dial together slightly. This had the effect of increasing the make and decreasing the break very slightly, which brought it within the tolerances the Grandstream would accept. It's a fraction of a milimeter difference on the contacts, but it makes all the difference.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

dc4code

I don't know what happened to the last list so here is a new one!

Grandstream "Lower-End Series" =
HT502 (2 Telephone Ports)
HT503 (1 Telephone Port, 1 CO Port)
HT701 (1 Telephone Port)
HT702 (2 Telephone Ports)
HT704 (4 Telephone Ports)   -- Untested Should work (according to Grandstream)
HT802 (2 Telephone Ports)
HT812 (2 Telephone Ports)

Grandstream "Enterprise/Higher End Series" =

GXW-4004 (4 Ports)
GXW-4008 (8 Ports)
GXW-4216 (16 Ports)
GXW-4224 (32 Ports)
GXW-4248 (48 Ports)

Digium "ATAs" =
IAXY S101I

Digium "FXS/FXO Asterisk PBX Computer Cards" =

In chan_dahdi.conf
Add this line :
pulsedial = yes

Other ATAs/Devices:

Innomedia MTA6328-2Re
Linksys RTP300 (Before Firmware Version 3)
Minitar MVA11A
Motorola VT-1005
UTStartCom iAN-02EX
Dinstar DAG1000-4S4O (Works but In-call DTMF Generation is very weird, I don't 100% recommend but other then that it's a decent ATA that puts a nice 4 REN on the line and works with NEON MWI! FXO Outpulsing in Pulse works great. Good for an SxS switch to get on NPSTN or C*NET.)
Dinstar DAG1000-8S8O (Untested, Should work.)

Keep in mind most lower-end ATAs do a bad job of ringing older phones,

I have a couple of the Enterprise-grade ATAs and they are amazing!
They ring 5 500 Sets, Pulse dialing works wonderfully, Flexible Dialplan and you can even set Asterisk to serve as part of the pre-call setup (Warm/Hot dial set to a Dialtone Macro/Subroutine system in Asterisk)

That is my experience though, I Get to mess with a lot of ATAs setting up PBXs for work sometimes :)

User Submitted Additions to this list :
- Edit This
- Edit This
- Edit This

================================================================================

Please reply below with ATAs and related modern hardware that supports Pulse Dialing,
Please include the exact brand & model number.

Last Edit: Feb 6, 2019

TelePlay

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

Quote from: dylanc4 on February 06, 2019, 07:11:09 PM
I don't know what happened to the last list so here is a new one!

Maybe here?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20386.0

and as requested, pinned to the top of the board?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20386.msg220262#msg220262

One list is enough so this will be incorporated into the exiting list later today.