News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary 500 Can't Dial out

Started by tommycam, January 31, 2019, 07:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommycam

I have another phone that is also a project but that is more cleaning as it works well. I was able to dial out with the phone from the same jack as I have been trying with the problem phone.

I tried the credit card in-between the contacts and the dial tone never broke.

I undid one of the white wires and I was able to hear the right number of contacts with the number on the dial.

I am learning a lot with the phone if it does happen again.

poplar1

Quote from: tommycam on February 01, 2019, 06:35:03 PM
I tried the credit card in-between the contacts and the dial tone never broke.

I undid one of the white wires and I was able to hear the right number of contacts with the number on the dial.

I was guessing that the dial pulsing contacts are permanently shorted together, perhaps in the plastic piece that holds the opposite end of all 4 dial contacts. However, if that were the case, you wouldn't hear the pulses, right? If you have a volt-ohm meter, disconnect the 4 dial wires and measure the resistance between the green and blue wires. Should be close to 0 with the dial at rest, and 30,000 ohms or more when the pulsing contacts open. There should also be 30,000 ohms or more (i.e., Open) between each white wire and green, and between each white wire and blue -- whether the dial is at rest (home position) or winding up or down.

I don't recall ever seeing such a short on a 7D dial. (Je donne ma langue au chat.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tommycam

Poplar,

Thank you for the suggestions. This might take a while as I don't have a meter, but I'll ask around.

I had to buy the cord that comes out of the back of the phone.  I had to strip the wires and wrap it around the screws in the RJ mount box.  Does that have any effect on dialing out? The other phone I tried did not need an RJ mount box.

Thank you all again!
Tom

Key2871

Working with phone's it's not mandatory but it's a really good idea. Digital VOMs can be had for under twenty bucks. Just check reviews on the ones your considering to make sure people are happy with them. Vellaman makes a decent one available at

https://www.allelectronics.com/item/dvm-850bl/3-1/2-digit-lcd-multimeter-w/backlight/1.html

I can't get the image to paste.. dang   phone
KEN

jsowers

Quote from: RotarDad on February 01, 2019, 01:14:20 AM
Do you have another 500 dial you could swap to try to narrow down if the issue is the dial or elsewhere?
Have you tried what Paul suggested? You have the other phone that works. Is it a 500? Swap the dial and you may narrow down your problems.
Jonathan

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: Key2871 on February 01, 2019, 07:59:44 PM
Digital VOMs can be had for under twenty bucks.

You might consider paying $10 more and get one that also measures capacitance.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VELLEMAN-DVM890L-3-1-2-DMM-29-RANGES-20A-TEMPERATURE-CAPACITANCE/281848306553

tommycam

Thank you for the links. I check them out. I know one of my friends should have one for a more immediate response.

I should have mentioned that this phone is the black rotary with the metal dial and the other one I tested had the plastic dial.

tommycam

I gave the phone to a friend with a meter and he said the wires generated power when tested. I gave him the instructions and he everything worked fine.

I appreciate all the help here, but I think I might move on from this phone. I'll keep an eye out for another one and probably flip this one.

Thank you all again! It probably won't be long before I am back asking another question.