News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

does any one remember this movie "Julie" ??

Started by Kenny C, March 28, 2010, 09:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

I watched a movie called julie last night and it was great.Dorris Day played one of the main roles. It is rom 1956 i think. It is about a woman who marries a man after her husband dies and it turns out the man she married was the man who killed her husband and he tells her that he killed her husband. So she leaves him and he finds her after she leave and changes her name. I have to say it was one of the best movies I have seen in my life
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

I saw it too.  It was on the Turner Classic Movie Channel (TCM)  I had not seen the movie before either, but I thought it was real good, unlike most Doris Day movies I have ever seen.  That surprised me.   I like watching TCM to see the old phones.

-Bill G

jsowers

I saw it too, and recorded it onto a DVD. I've seen it a couple times. It begins with this great scene where Julie (Doris Day) gets into a 1956 Chrysler Windsor convertible and her husband gets in after she backs up. They get underway and she says something to him about breaking up and he gets mad and mashes the accelerator down to the floor with his left foot and holds his hand over the keys and all Julie can do is try to drive. They put that Chrysler through the wringer, all right. Lots of sharp curves, and it was on a coastal road in Monterey or Carmel, so there were cliffs with ocean below. Finally, right before they're headed for a cliff, he stops the car. It's fairly suspenseful.

All the phones in the movie are black 500 sets and payphones, as far as I can tell. The phone booth in the club has a nice Bell System logo on it. The movie was done on a shoestring budget and most of the sets are actual places, I think. You can see ceilings in the rooms and stuff you would never see on a Hollywood set. The part at the end where Julie flies the plane, which I think is a Douglas DC-6, is very good and reminiscent of the movie Airplane.

The only part that's unintentionally funny is Julie wildly turning the steering wheel on the Chrysler at the first. It was done on a set, and she does it a bit too much and the car would be whipping around if she were turning it that much. Other cars in the movie were a 1956 Plymouth rental car, a 1956 Dodge Custom Royal convertible that gives Julie a lift, and a 1956 DeSoto wagon that Cliff drives. Evidently Chrysler Corporation provided the cars for this movie.
Jonathan

Phonesrfun

I enjoyed the landing of the DC-6 or whatever it is.  Let's assume it is a DC-6.

Normally, the scenes in movies that feature someone in the control tower talking someone down are pretty flakey, but I thought they did a very good job.  I have taken flying lessons in small single engine planes, and about the only thing I thought was weird was that during the landing sequence they put the flaps down all at once.  Normally, you put the flaps in gradually.  And another little known thing to the average person is the fact that the plane's brakes are on the tips of the rudder pedals.   They actually featured that, which would have been left out of most other novice-landing-the-plane scenes.

The landing scene kind of spiced up the movie, I thought.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

OK, you guys started talking about airplanes and now I'm going to have to find a copy of that movie just to watch that scene.

I read an article once in a flying magazine.  The premises of the article was that IF a person that was a private pilot, who flew only small, single-engine airplanes found himself/herself in a situation while on board a 747 and the pilots became disabled----what would the likelihood be of that private pilot being able to land the airplane.  The interviewee was an airline pilot who said it would be unlikely that the individual would even be able to locate the radio to get in touch with someone that could provide instructions (for landing the plane).

If it were me, I'd sure go down trying!

Kenny C

the desk set in the police officers office was a 5302,and I loved that car
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 29, 2010, 01:02:21 PM
OK, you guys started talking about airplanes and now I'm going to have to find a copy of that movie just to watch that scene.

It is at the very tail end of the movie, but worth watching.

I read an article once in a flying magazine.  The premises of the article was that IF a person that was a private pilot, who flew only small, single-engine airplanes found himself/herself in a situation while on board a 747 and the pilots became disabled----what would the likelihood be of that private pilot being able to land the airplane.  The interviewee was an airline pilot who said it would be unlikely that the individual would even be able to locate the radio to get in touch with someone that could provide instructions (for landing the plane).

If it were me, I'd sure go down trying!

Me too.  However, I would not want to be in that predicament in the first place.  I have heard that the cockpit of the 747 is at about the height of a 4-story building, so in landing you would have to guage where the wheels are from that kind of height.  I have seen pictures of the controls of a 747, and I think that interviewee is correct.  Which one is the radio, or the radios!  Some things are just best left to the experts.

I have Microsoft Flight Simulator, and every time I try to fly a 747, I wind up crashing it.
-Bill G

jsowers

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 29, 2010, 01:02:21 PM

Dennis, I'll send you a copy of Julie, along with Zero Hour, starring Dana Andrews and Drew's dad, Sterling Hayden. It's the movie Airplane was based on. Lloyd Bridges plays Hayden's part ("Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit smoking.")

And I think it's a DC-6 in Julie because the landing gear looks exactly like what was on the screen, but I'm no plane expert. It was a 4-prop plane that looked a lot like a DC-3, except it had the third wheel on the front, so it sat level. You can tell me if I'm right.
Jonathan

Dennis Markham

A good description, Jonathan.  The DC3 was a "tail dragger" and a twin engine airplane.  The gear with the nose wheel is referred to as a "tricycle gear" airplane.  It's a whole lot easier to fly a tricycle airplane while on the ground---during take-off and landing.  A tail wheel airplane requires a lot of use of the rudder and are prone to "ground-looping".

Here's a nice video I found from You-tube of a DC6 being used to haul cargo up in Alaska.  There are some good cock-pit scene during take-off and landing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Xhf-N-ny0

Thanks, Jonathan, I'd love to have a copy of those movies.

Dennis Markham

I know I'm off-topic in the off-topic section but I thought I'd post this photo anyway.

I put about 50 hours on this Citabria (airbatic spelled backward).  This is a tail wheel airplane.  I was told by my airline pilot brother-in-law that one is not a "real" pilot until one learns how to fly a tail-dragger.  Once they're in the air they fly just like any other airplane.  But getting it off and back on the ground is another story.  It seats two people, one behind the other.  It has a stick as opposed to a steering wheel.  It's a lot of fun.

This was many gray hairs and many pounds ago......circa 1998.

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

Part of my flying instructions was in a Piper Cub.  Now there is a cool tail dragger and an antique to boot!  Also a joy-stick control with seating one behind the other.
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill, that is my "dream" airplane.  You were learning the right way right off the bat.  There are many of those still flying.  Like everything that is old and good...they're expensive.  Here's a photo of one.........

Both planes shown here, the Citabria and the Cub are fabric covered airplanes.  Fabric stretched tight over the framework and then coated with some type of resin.  They're very strong and durable.  And if you get a hole in it, duct tape works just fine.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 29, 2010, 03:42:37 PM
I know I'm off-topic in the off-topic section but I thought I'd post this photo anyway.

I put about 50 hours on this Citabria (airbatic spelled backward).  This is a tail wheel airplane.  I was told by my airline pilot brother-in-law that one is not a "real" pilot until one learns how to fly a tail-dragger.  Once they're in the air they fly just like any other airplane.  But getting it off and back on the ground is another story.  It seats two people, one behind the other.  It has a stick as opposed to a steering wheel.  It's a lot of fun.

This was many gray hairs and many pounds ago......circa 1998.
INDIANS!!! I thought the Forum Guru was a Tiger Fan??? I knew it was Red Sox Nation.....Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, I wondered if anyone would notice that.

My son was on a Little League team and they were the Indians.  I helped with coaching duties so I bought the shirt.  That was just so I could sneak into the Indians camp across the Lake. :)