News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 108: Western Electric 233G 3-slot Payphone

Started by TelePlay, November 27, 2013, 01:40:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

I've been watching eBay for quite some time to find one of these and there it was, just in time for the Holidays, what seems to be a complete WE 233G in relatively good condition with no reserve. This will be the first WE 3 slot to make an appearance on the Auction Contest board. A quick looks shows no coin box, the lock is busted out of the vault door and some paint chipping on the handset hook. Seller says no keys but he got it apart with a lot of close-up pictures on eBay.

This phone started at $0.99 and less than 4 hours later, with 5 bidders and 6 bids, it was up to $51.00. With just under 7 days left in this auction, the big question is just how much will this phone sell for when the dust settles.

We all know what this phone "will" sell for so take your guess early to avoid problems with that pesky Rule #3, the 5% "No Crowding" rule. This phone will sell but at what price? This should be an interesting auction.

The seller listed it as an "Vintage Black Western Electric Electric Rotary Pay phone 3 Coin Payphone Detroit" with the item condition as "Used" and states "I came across this very cool Western Electric pay phone in my travels here in Northern Michigan. It is very heavy and weighs 38 pounds by itself! It stands 23 inches high.  It even includes the wall bracket. No keys were included when I purchased it, and the bottom lock was drilled out, but I see they are available on Ebay and other places. It has the information placard on top and most of the locations were from the Pontiac, Detroit Michigan areas. The coin return button pushes normally and the rotary dial operates smoothly. Overall condition is good, and she will need a little cleaning and a little work. It shows signs of normal wear and a small ding on the lower right side. I have no idea of how to test this so I am selling it "as is' untested, and just as pictured. This would be an awesome display piece for a garage, mancave, rec room or home bar. I am selling this with a low opener and no reserve so you can determine what it is worth.".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261340505247

Another chance to either move up a rung or to get onto the -> Contest Standings <- list. As always, you have to play to win!

New members on the forum, as well as the oldtimers, are always very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. It does pay to get your guess in early if you know the selling price. I will be watching guesses and helping members as the contest progresses to prevent crowding under Rule #3. With that said, have at it and good luck!

If you want to check out all of the phones that have been in past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <- (link works, really!)

S C O R E B O A R D

$175.00 - southernphoneman  ( 3 )
$200.00 - Sargeguy  ( 11 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $209.45
$229.88 - Dennis Markham  ( 4 )
$250.00 - Phonesrfun  ( 2 )
$285.00 - DavePEI  ( 5 )
$310.00 - Kenton K  ( 1 )
$333.00 - poplar1  ( 7 )
$352.00 - Matilo Telephones  ( 6 )
$369.60 - WesternElectricBen  ( 10 )
$399.01 - HarrySmith  ( 8 )
$425.00 - tallguy58  ( 9 )
$450.00 - TelePlay  ( 12 )

Early Morning Auction Status Changes

11-26-13    Listed   $     0.99
11-27-13     6 bids  $   51.00
11-28-13   11 bids  $ 122.50 , ,
12-01-13   12 bids  $ 127.50 ,
12-03-13   14 bids  $ 158.94
12-03-13   11 bidders, 19 bids $209.45  Ended at 16:59:41 PST

Kenton K

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Dennis Markham

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Matilo Telephones

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

WesternElectricBen

365.00, if that number isn't crowding anyone.

Ben

--------------

EDIT:  Increased to $369.60 which is 5% greater than $352.00 ($352 x 1.05 = $369.60)

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

The winner of Auction Contest #108 is Sargeguy with his guess of $200.00. This was the 7th win for him moving up one rung in the standings, tying him with bingster, and putting him only 3 wins away from tying our current Grand Champion - Dan. Congratulations go out to Sargeguy for his astute guess in this contest.

The phone, listed at $0.99, received 19 bids from 11 interested buyers and in the end, fizzled out at the last second at an unremarkable final snipe resulting in a sale price of only $209.45.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 108 contests.

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.

Sargeguy

I would've bid $225 or $250 if they hadn't already been taken ::)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409