News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting differences between a Canadian and American 500 set

Started by phoneguy06, June 22, 2009, 12:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

Some weeks ago I purchased a Model NE500. I have noticed some differences that I would like to point out.

Picture 1: I noticed that the radius of the edge of the back end is not as sharp as is in the WE500. This is a soft plastic NE500 (you can tell by the smell), however, plastic housings, either soft plastic or ABS, made by WE are sharper.

Picture 2: WE did not put patent numbers anywhere, but the NE500 has then on the back logo. This phone has black plungers.

Picture 3: The speaker has a different finish and the date is stamped on the side. The similar finish is also present on the microphone. The speaker bakelite cap has a grove inside not present in the US model.

Picture 4: There is no little bell or large bell, no even the LOUD indicator is present, perhaps because this phone uses a frequency ringer (loudness not adjustable). The finish of the bottom plate is very shiny. WE500 bottoms seem to have the same finish used in fire arms.

More to follow ...
Jorge

JorgeAmely

... continuation from above.

Picture 5: The size of font used to stamp parts is smaller (no shift or plant number present).

Picture 6: Except for the frequency ringer, no differences between models here. The cord crimp has a surface finish similar to the speaker and mike.

Picture 7: Someone pointed the method used to date the network.

Picture 8: And finally, black ink instead of orange. No color code present.

Jorge

Dennis Markham

Interesting observations and great photos.  Thanks Jorge for posting those.  I didn't pay such close attention to the black Model 591 that I had when I had it.

phoneguy06

I have never seen a NE colour chart either, but from asking exactly this question on the TCI listserv, was told that they produced colours identical to those of WE from 1954 until 1968-69, when they switched to the ITT colour palette. The very last NE phones produced in the US were manufactured only in black, ivory, white, and brown in Tennessee.

Jester

It's funny how the smell of cheese makes a thread take off around here! ;D  Jorge, I like that 591 & appreciate the extra observations you made.  The font details on my '57 are basically the same as yours, and I also noticed my terminal screws on the receiver element are a different design from the WE element.  Is there a casting under the cord hole in that handset to hold the cord restraint?  Since it's dated '56 I'd guess it to be that way, but I have newer G-1's that use the same transmitter contact cup as the later colored handsets that has the U lock that holds the cord restraint.
Stephen

JorgeAmely

Jester:

Yes, there is a casting inside the handset to hold the cord in place. Same as in a 591 model, but made by WE. I did not see a difference between the terminal screws of the receiver and those made for WE. The difference could be a matter of what company supplied WE and NE with screws.

I have seen many networks with screws with "square-ish" shoulders, but once in a while I see a set with soft shouldered screws. Go figure.

I have attached a photo of the casting mentioned earlier. The WE 591 casting is identical in shape.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

That "casting" is common in the early W.E. G1 handsets.  The transmitter cups used with those have the flat surface and is held into proper location by a notch in the plastic transmitter cup that fits into the handset for location.  Later handsets without the casting use a transmitter cup with the U-shaped fork to hold onto the handset cord.  Those flat transmitter cups were also used in the early color sets too but had a small bridge piece for holding onto the handset cord.

McHeath

Going back to Jester's red 57', the word "operator" certainly looks to be in more of a straight line than on WE products. 

What year did Canada mandate that all public signs and such use French and English?  Perhaps that's when they stopped using the English word operator and also the word "Loud" for the ringer adjustment. 

Jester

McHeath,
I think that lettering alignment you & D/P noticed are optical faults caused by camera angle & maybe helped by problems I've noticed in all my indoor pictures using automatic flash.  Comparing this bezel to those on my other colored phones, they all look identical in person.  As for standardizing the use of zero only on the tenth digit & marking ringer loudness with the small & large bell symbols, I think those innovations occured after 1970.  If you'll recall, there was an international push for recognizable graphic symbols to replace worded signage on roadways & public facilities around this time.  Some notable examples are the "Slippery When Wet" roadway sign & the man/woman silhouette signs used to label public restrooms.
Stephen

phoneguy06

Quote from: McHeath on August 10, 2009, 07:39:49 PM
Going back to Jester's red 57', the word "operator" certainly looks to be in more of a straight line than on WE products. 

What year did Canada mandate that all public signs and such use French and English?  Perhaps that's when they stopped using the English word operator and also the word "Loud" for the ringer adjustment. 

French became an official language in Canada in 1969; the dial in my '81 500 has a patent date of 1970, so it would make sense that this was the year that NE eliminated the word "operator" from the dial bezels as well.

Jester

Since Dennis mentioned the different strain relief system used in the early plastic handsets, I thought a few pictures would help.  I'm sure a few of us haven't run into these before.
1) Picture of the inside of the transmitter cavity on my NE showing the Lucite bar with its U hook holding the restraining grommet on the cord.  This is the "newest" phone in my collection that has this type of clip in the handset.

2) Three different handsets.  Brown one on left is from '55.  Middle is from '59 & is hard plastic, but note the inside cavity is shaped the same as the brown one.  The lucite cord restraint would fit in this handset.  Far right handset is a NE G3 dated 1971.  Notice the casting inside the transmitter opening is much different.

3) A shot of the restraint & G1 style transmitter cup outside the handset.
Stephen

DavePEI

Quote from: McHeath on August 10, 2009, 07:39:49 PM

What year did Canada mandate that all public signs and such use French and English?  Perhaps that's when they stopped using the English word operator and also the word "Loud" for the ringer adjustment.  
I forget the exact year of the first official languages act which spelled the end of Operator usage in Canada. (end of 1969, further ammended in 1988)  Someone further up the thread mentioned that there were too many made with operator for this to be true. Yes, there were - but don't forget this was only for those destined to be sold and used in Canada. NE were major exporters to much of the world, including the US. There were also NE phones manufactured in an NE plant in Tennessee, and these were, of course made with Operator.

To understand this, one has to understand the history of the French and English languages in Canada, and the sensitivities between both groups. Therefore for phones for production for Canadian use, NE took the safe way out by using only 0. It was a simple solution which couldn't offend anyone, and which translated to the same thing in both official languages.

But don't forget, NE had a huge export market and sold large numbers to the US, and for them, this didn't apply - all for export could have operator on the dial. Those made before the law was passed all had operator on them (end of 1969/1970).  

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001