News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 214: WECO Type 131 Subset - Ended 06-21-16

Started by TelePlay, June 19, 2016, 01:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

New forum members are very welcome and encouraged to take a guess. After all, there are no wrong guesses, just one lucky one. No one knows the winning bid on any auction until it ends. However, it is important to get your guess in before someone else grabs your guess.

Listed about 12 hours ago in a very short 3 day auction with the low reserve met ( with a thanks to Fabius for the link ) and starting at $12.00 is what appears to be a very rare, if not the only one in existence today, WECO Type 131 Subset that appears to be complete and in relatively good condition. One may ask, where are the gongs? Seems those two brass brackets mounted to the inside of the metal housing are the strike plates for the clapper making the metal housing one big gong. Now that's different. And the wiring diagram is on the well preserved condenser cover. Within less than an hour of being listed, it attracted one bid which must have exceeded the initial seller reserve so it is sitting at $50 and it will sell.  So, once again, who best knows what this candlestick will sell for when the auction ends?

NOTE:  This is a 3 day auction with two and a half days left as of the start of this contest.
                That leaves only one and a half days from right now to post your guesses.

NOTE: we will use a $3 gap rule between guesses again to prevent crowding. As such, keep your guess at least $3 away from prior guesses for this contest.

The seller listed it as an "Western Electric Very Early Type 131 Clapper Old Telephone Phone Bell System", the item condition as " - - - " and " - - - " and with the auction listing description saying simply " This is a old piece and I am sure rare,I have never seen this piece before. It appears to be a clapper of some sort,the armature vibrates against the small brass posts on the cover. Back board is wood. If you are a W/E collector this has got to be a rare piece.Has a really nice tag mounted on it."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371660021826

It's another chance to move up a rung or to get onto the CRPF -> Contest Standings <- list,

. . . for as twocvbloke said,   ---> "You gotta be in it to win it !!!" ;D "

If you want to see the phones of past Auction Contests, click -> HERE <-

S C O R E B O A R D

$  101.00 - compubit  ( 3 )
$  125.00 - skyrider  ( 2 )
$  205.00 - Autonut  ( 8 )
$  250.00 - tallguy58  ( 1 )
$  265.00 - Fabius  ( 4 )
$  271.00 - andre_janew  ( 6 )
$  285.50 - TelePlay  ( 10 )
$  300.00 - Mr. Bones  ( 7 )
$  310.00 - Fabius  ( 9** )
$  325.00 - Sargeguy  ( 11 )*
$  355.00 - wds  ( 5 )  -> WINNER - Final Selling Price $ $609.00

Early Morning Auction Status

06-18-16      Listed        $    12.00
06-19-16      1 bids        $    50.00
06-20-16      8 bids        $  202.50    ( 5 bidders)
06-21-16      8 bids        $  202.50
06-21-16      7 bidders, 14 bids $609.00  Ended at 12:05:09 PDT

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

skyrider

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

wds

Dave

Mr. Bones

$300.00 for me, please.

Thanks, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Fabius

Can anyone tell us what set this Type 131 subset was used with?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

wds

It was used with the #130 donut phone.
Dave

Fabius

Quote from: wds on June 19, 2016, 09:42:34 PM
It was used with the #130 donut phone.

Wow, With the popularity of the donut phone and the fact those that own one probably don't have this subset this could go higher then indicated by the bids so far.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

wds

It's a little odd - if the donut phone and the ringer box were sold as sets, what happened to all the ringers?  There doesn't seem to be any shortage of the donut phones, they are on ebay all the time.  But you rarely see the ringer for sale.  And I believe the outer shell is metal so they should be pretty indestructible.  Here's one that sold a few years ago. 
Dave