News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Semi-gloss or satin?

Started by PantherLimited, November 10, 2011, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PantherLimited

Hello, I am new to the forums and am loving all the posts and stories here so far. Very happy to be here :)

About 3 years ago, I came across an original 302 from late 1938 in its original box. A bonafide N.O.S. WE302. It was about as pristine and original as you could imagine and I wish I still had it; but alas, I was offered quite a bit more than I had paid so I sold it :( Knowing what I've learned since, I would never have let it go.

Anyway, while I had it in my possession (for about a year), I looked it over quite well as you can imagine. I am about 99% certain that I was the first to loosen the bottom plate screws since it had left the WE factory. It had a satin black finish, not even remotely glossy or even what I'd call semi-gloss. It wasn't at all what I'd call dulled from age... it was truely satin black. It looked absolutely pristine, but satin. The box it was in was definitely very old, but not damaged by water or moisture, so I feel that the phone was probably stored in a very dry, possibly climate controlled environment most of its life... possibly an attic.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone else seen this? I was truely surprised because all 302 phones I had ever seen were at the very least a dulled semi-gloss. I always assumed they started out glossy or semi-gloss. But after seeing this one, I started suspecting that they started out satin and possibly got more shine with use & age? Strange but true... but I've seen things like that happen before. My other thought is that it could have been a fluke? Or a special order finish? Or something they tried only on a few phones for a while?

Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated as I'm preparing to refinish quite a few 302's and 202's... I can't decide how to go as far as gloss or satin on my black.

Thanks!

GG

IMHO it would make more sense for WE to use satin than gloss.  Gloss shows up any small flaw in the finish and could be harder to refinish later without prepping the surface.   

Reliable high-gloss finishes are a product of late 20th century technology.

I'd stick with satin for a mass refinishing project.  Gloss might be justified for something that's going to sit in a museum display case, where it won't be subject to use and to messy fingerprints. 

PantherLimited

Thanks for the input, that's the way I was leaning anyway. Satin will look better with the handsets too... those don't get too glossy no matter what you do (even Glayzit). I've seen some of those high gloss restorations on EBay and they just don't look right.