News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric dial problem

Started by NorthernElectric, February 28, 2015, 02:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthernElectric

I spotted this phone for sale but something is apparently wrong with the dial in that the finger wheel seems to be either stuck or doesn't return.  I am thinking of asking my sister, who lives fairly close to the seller, to go and buy it for me, but I'd like to have an idea what I'm getting into with the dial.  Anybody care to take a stab at listing possible causes just from the photo?  And where can I find a tutorial with pictures for dial disassembly/reassembly and servicing?  I've never taken a dial apart before but I'm willing to give it a go if I have some reference material to refer to.
Cliff

Kenton K

Probably just stuck with grime and old grease gunk. If you are mechanically inclined, its not hard to disassemble and clean. If you don't feel like messing with small parts, you can send the dial the Steve and get it refurbished for $6. Great service!

Ken

Doug Rose

Paint looks good on this metal NE or WE 302 with a NE handset. Probably just need a few drops of oil on the gears. Get your Sister driving....Welcome to the Forum.....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I second Kenton's suggestion. Send it to Steve! That's what I do with all my dials, can't beat it for 6 bucks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

You have to pay shipping both ways as well, so you are talking around $20 for one dial. I would try to oil it first before I sent it to Steve. I do agree, Steve is the best, but a little lubrication goes a long way on any old dial....Doug
Kidphone

Mr. Bones

I have had very good luck with using electrical contact cleaner, and gently cycling the dial, prior to very light lubrication.

Sometimes, over-lubrication is exactly what has gathered a lot of the crud in the mechanism to begin with.

There are many threads regarding dial cleaning and lubrication here on the forum, by many more learned than myself.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

NorthernElectric

Thanks all.  Since the consensus seems to be that the dial likely only need cleaning and lubrication and that it's not rocket science taking it apart and putting it back together, I will attempt to do it myself if I get the phone.
Cliff

rbouch

I just finished cleaning an identical dial last night and the "contact cleaner - sewing machine oil" combination worked wonders for me.

dsk

Cliff, I definitely agree. Do it yourselves! Still it is a few things to have in mind, this are kinda clockwork, just a little oil where it shall be, and nothing on the centrifugal brake. It is an ideal timing with speed and timing of brakes and non brakes of the pulses.  Everything is pretty logical when we know... ask if you need help.

dsk

NorthernElectric

Looks like I will likely be getting this phone.  Rather than ask my sister to pick it up, I contacted the seller asking if he was willing to mail it to me and he is.  I'm thinking it would get to me sooner this way.  He's out of town for a few days but will get me a quote on the postage when he returns so hopefully it will be a done deal early next week.
Cliff