and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell / Western Electric - "Mod 1 Picturephone"

Started by MagicMo, November 18, 2012, 02:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Doug Rose

Maureen...why don't you take the picturephone out of the box and take twelve pictures and post it on eBay? You might be really surprised and its value.

eBay is not hard, it's so easy even I can do it. The hard part is taking pictures and you have mastered that. Don't worry about describing it, your pictures will do that....good luck....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI second Doug's suggestion, start with the Picture Phone.

I hate to disagree, but I would suggest starting with something more modest like some of the 302s and build up a bit of experience first.  Its best to make any learning mistakes on less valuable items.  you wouldn't want a blue plastic 302 to be your very first phone restoration project.

Maureen, when you do list it or other rare items, it would be a good idea to post about it to the TCI yahoo group "singingwires".  The big-time phone collectors read the messages on that group.

Larry

MagicMo

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 19, 2012, 01:45:16 PM
Maureen...why don't you take the picturephone out of the box and take twelve pictures and post it on eBay? You might be really surprised and its value.

eBay is not hard, it's so easy even I can do it. The hard part is taking pictures and you have mastered that. Don't worry about describing it, your pictures will do that....good luck....Doug

Thanks for the advice. Every time I go through another box the more overwhelming it becomes. As far as the picturephone goes, I'm not going to part with it just yet. I don't want to kick myself for not being patient about it, I owe it to my Dad. It's hard to find anything about it's value. If you had to Ballpark it, what value would you give it? Is this something I should save for my children? Ugh!! I'm very confused.
Thanks,
Maureen
Practice Kindness :)

MagicMo

Quote from: Dave F on November 19, 2012, 01:07:57 PM
Hi Maureen,

I did indeed see the pictures.

Yes, it's a Type 1, super-duper rare.  In fact, there just might not be another one in that immaculate condition anywhere!  Certainly one of the best phone-finds I have ever seen.

Not likely, but maybe the gods will smile on me and I will end up with it in my collection.

Also, let me add my condolences on the loss of your father.  He's probably looking down and smiling with satisfaction at the good fortune he has left you!

Dave F.

Thanks Dave.

Doug Rose

Maureen...do what feels right to you. There is no ball park figure. This could be a very "rare" item! I could offer your $1000 and you might be thrilled. It might be worth $25,000. No one knows! Guesses! No more. There are collectors who have very deep pockets, maybe even the the company who made it might want it back for display.  I would never ever trust one person's opinion, including mine. eBay is a finite answer. Put a reserve if you are worried. Your children's future is now on an item  that "could" be this rare. Strike while the iron is hot. This is by far the best of the lot that I have seen that you have posted. I am no expert. Take the advice you are given by this group. If it was mine, I would list it on eBay tonight! Believe that. ...good luck....Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 19, 2012, 07:23:24 PM
Maureen...do what feels right to you. There is no ball park figure. This could be a very "rare" item! I could offer your $1000 and you might be thrilled. It might be worth $25,000. No one knows! Guesses! No more. There are collectors who have very deep pockets, maybe even the the company who made it might want it back for display.  I would never ever trust one person's opinion, including mine. eBay is a finite answer. Put a reserve if you are worried. Your children's future is now on an item  that "could" be this rare. Strike while the iron is hot. This is by far the best of the lot that I have seen that you have posted. I am no expert. Take the advice you are given by this group. If it was mine, I would list it on eBay tonight! Believe that. ...good luck....Doug

Doug is so right. While most, if not all of us would love to have that picturephone, I am sure your father wanted it to help out his family as much as it should. While it is a nuisance, eBay is the best way to go.  When you do list it there, tell its story, and how you came across it. Post as many photos as you can, both photos of it in its case, and those outside of the case, and of the included documentation. That way people will realize its condition and how it has been kept.  Place a high reserve on it - it will likely in the end bring many thousands of dollars.

It is by far, the most valuable of the items you have shown. Most of the other items will do very well, too on eBay.

It is going to take a while to liquidate what you have, but in the end, all the trouble will be worth it. Bless you, and bless your father for leaving this wonderful collection to you.!

P.S. You would be surprised at how much that ephemera (nicknacks) will bring...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

Pics of the PicturePhone. When I took it out of the box I noticed black dots on the screen. What's that all about? The marks on the back were made from my dirty fingerprints, it is in great condition.
Thanks,
Maureen

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_collector on November 19, 2012, 01:07:34 AM
So it could be a power supply for any of a lot of different telephone related devices. Not a huge value but someone will want it.

Quite the interest in this topic! 24 hours after your first post here ad we have almost 6 full pages of posts. Probably close to some sort of record here on the CRPF! Brinybay's been arrested for trying to steal a Seattle Bus and drive it across State lines....

Terry

It ended up being the power supply unit for the PicturePhone. Duh! It was sitting right on top of the thing but I had no idea it went with it. LOL
Maureen

Dave F

Quote from: MagicMo on November 20, 2012, 10:55:50 PM
Pics of the PicturePhone. When I took it out of the box I noticed black dots on the screen. What's that all about? The marks on the back were made from my dirty fingerprints, it is in great condition.
Thanks,
Maureen
Black dots on the screen are not good.  Usually, this is an indication that the light-emitting phosphors of the picture tube have degraded with the passage of time.  This appears to be a common problem with the picture tubes used in these Type 1 Picturephones, as I have seen others with this condition.  It could very well be that the picture tube would have to be replaced in order for the unit to work.  If so, hopefully there is enough info in all your documentation to make that effort possible (assuming that this particular kind of picture tube is still commercially available).

Maureen, I see that you have located that elusive extra control unit.  Looks like you have all three major parts!  That's great!

Dave

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on November 20, 2012, 11:02:24 PM
Quote from: AE_collector on November 19, 2012, 01:07:34 AM
So it could be a power supply for any of a lot of different telephone related devices. Not a huge value but someone will want it.

Quite the interest in this topic! 24 hours after your first post here ad we have almost 6 full pages of posts. Probably close to some sort of record here on the CRPF! Brinybay's been arrested for trying to steal a Seattle Bus and drive it across State lines....

Terry

It ended up being the power supply unit for the PicturePhone. Duh! It was sitting right on top of the thing but I had no idea it went with it. LOL
Maureen

That is cool. It is the first time I have seen an early picture phone even in photos..... Beautiful! Now, at least we know what the power supply is for!

As whoever is buying this will be very unlikely to have a second complete unit to use it with, the peeled phosphor shouldn't matter, as the unit will be purchased for its historical value, and not to use. What 60-70 year old item even NOS doesn't have some degredation of components. It is still beautiful, and will bring a very high price.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

MagicMo

Quote from: DavePEI on November 20, 2012, 11:10:55 PM
That is cool. It is the first time I have seen an early picture phone even in photos..... Beautiful! Now, at least we know what the power supply is for!

As whoever is buying this will be very unlikely to have a second complete unit to use it with, the peeled phosphor shouldn't matter, as the unit will be purchased for its historical value, and not to use. What 60-70 year old item even NOS doesn't have some degredation of components. It is still beautiful, and will bring a very high price.

Dave

Believe it or not I swear I saw an extra Picture tube in a box up in the attic. Never knew what it was or even thought twice about it until now! LOL

DavePEI

Quote from: MagicMo on November 20, 2012, 11:35:05 PM
Believe it or not I swear I saw an extra Picture tube in a box up in the attic. Never knew what it was or even thought twice about it until now! LOL

Wouldn't that be great if it is the tube for it. Get the number off the box and compare that number with the number for replacement tubes shown in the manuals - there is a very good chance your father knew about the problem, and picked up a spare to replace it.

Hope for you it is the right one. Even if it isn't, I doubt it will make a huge difference in what it will sell for, as it is most likely it will go to someone wanting it for its historical significance.... It is in beautiful shape!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Maureen

Good thing you didn't toss the power supply onto ebaY to get it the heack out of there since it is a big heavy pain in the butt to move around!

A spare picture tube might have the same problem though.

Terry

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_collector on November 20, 2012, 11:54:00 PM
Maureen

Good thing you didn't toss the power supply onto ebaY to get it the heack out of there since it is a big heavy pain in the butt to move around!
Terry
I was thinking that should be the first to go! Glad I didn't think too hard.  :o