"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A question to all phone collectors

Started by ChristmasGuy, February 11, 2020, 11:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChristmasGuy

Dear Classic Rotary Phone Forum,
As a collector of old phones, I was wondering if there was something I was doing or forgetting to do to make the phones call out, since when you call, they ring and do everything expected. But, when I try to call out, it Registers my call on my mobile phone but doesn't hold the call or ring my mobile phone for me to pick it up. I did try with a tone to pulse converter using a Rotary and Touch-Tone. I also do have Verizon as my phone service and I don't know what I should do, any help will be greatly appreciated. ~JMS
Jack Sidlauskas

Key2871

Are you talking VOIP, or what.
From what I'm reading it could go both ways, I have verizion cell service, but it's not like it used to be. It's let me down more times than I like. But if your talking about landline versus cell, it could go either way.
KEN

dsk

Do I understand you right?
1) When you call to your old phone, it rings, and when you lanswer everything works as normal?

2) When you call from your old phone to your cellphone, the call pops up on your cellphone with the nuber, and then it stops up witn no or just short ringing?

If so the old carbon transmitter may be the problem, and a resistor of approx 330 ohms across (shunting) the transmitter may solve it.

If you do not have a restor just strap the transmitter and test, ofcourse you will only have one way speak on that test.
dsk

ChristmasGuy

Quote from: Key2871 on February 12, 2020, 06:39:07 AM
Are you talking VOIP, or what.
From what I'm reading it could go both ways, I have verizion cell service, but it's not like it used to be. It's let me down more times than I like. But if your talking about landline versus cell, it could go either way.
Dear ken, we do have Verizon call service, that's what Im talking about.
Jack Sidlauskas

ChristmasGuy

Dear DSK,
you do have it correct and the ringing is not available although it shows an indication of a call and immediately hangs up on the phone with the standard beeping sound indicating the call has ended. I am intrigued by your explanation, do you have a schematic?
Jack Sidlauskas

Key2871

Well it's looking to me like it's a Version problem, not at all uncommon. I've had that issue many times when getting or making calls on my cell. From or to land line service, aggrivating, for sure. You can try again at another time.
What phone are you using to make the call from, because I'm intreged by DSKs responce using a resistor across the transmitter.
KEN

dsk

Quote from: ChristmasGuy on February 12, 2020, 11:06:06 PM
Dear DSK,
you do have it correct and the ringing is not available although it shows an indication of a call and immediately hangs up on the phone with the standard beeping sound indicating the call has ended. I am intrigued by your explanation, do you have a schematic?
Would this help?

Just 2 ways to put in the resistor.