News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Have you ever noticed...

Started by bingster, July 07, 2009, 08:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsowers

QuoteI might slant the shelves slightly, lower in front---or are these slanted?

Dennis, the shelves are probably flat. He's in earthquake territory and the phones would slide if the shelves were slanted. I suppose something could be put at the end of the shelf to hold them on, but it might hide the feet. I've seen pictures of Bell System displays where they slanted the phones and it looks good. But they probably drilled holes in the bases to mount them that way.

QuoteSpeaking of gassing, and speaking of "have you ever noticed"....have you ever noticed how the mounting rubber on the C-Series ringers emit a gas over time?  They actually stain the plastic where there is no ventilation.  I have a soft plastic 554 in Light Gray that is stained completely through the plastic housing.  Many of the light colored housing show signs of staining on the inside of the plastic.

Yes, I've noticed that staining a lot. I've seen a white soft plastic housing stained brown all the way through at the bell mounts. It was new in the box too, which was very sad because otherwise it was perfect and very rare. I have to wonder if being sealed up in a box made it worse. I'm just glad all of them don't stain all the way through like that. I know Jorge was kidding, but do you think it's gassed all it's going to, or could it ever get worse? Hopefully not in our lifetime.

We're lucky they didn't use certain kinds of rubber wire in the phones. I also collect old radios and inside those things sometimes the wire is just flaking apart and the rubber cords are almost always bad. Phones are much easier to restore.
Jonathan