News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brown Bakelight Ericsson phone

Started by monophone_lover, January 13, 2018, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monophone_lover

I just picked this up at a thrift shop, its a nice piece i have a similar one owever I believe it has indentations on the side for carrying and mabey a different handset.. the date on the phone is 1958 should clean up well there are still some gems out there.. as this phone was about 65$ i saw this and a preww2 302 metal body correct dial wrong handset, so as not to arouse the owner of the shop i asked how much for both, 150$ i talked him down to 140$ for the pair... not bad...
Rob
ATCA # 4057

TelePlay

Nice phone. Interesting handset cord.

AE_Collector

Wow...a "Find of the Month" for the New Year! I too was going to say it looks like a bit of insulation (fabric) loss on the handset cord! Minor stuff...

You go between the US and the Philippines....where did you find this beauty?

This is (or is a version of) a GPO 332? If so, I don't know that I have ever seen a mottled Brown Bakelite 332. Just black and the usual coloured varieties...Ivory, Green, Red and ...is that all or did
I miss one?

Nominated you for this months Find of the Month:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19501.msg200951#msg200951

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2018, 12:18:46 PM
This is (or is a version of) a GPO 332? If so, I don't know that I have ever seen a mottled Brown Bakelite 332. Just black and the usual coloured varieties...Ivory, Green, Red and ...is that all or did
I miss one?

Is that a Bakelite finger wheel?

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on January 13, 2018, 04:04:57 PM
Is that a Bakelite finger wheel?

Quite likely....they exist. My green GPO 332 has a Bakelite FW.

Terry

<edit> I've moved the conversation about my Green Phone to a new topic:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19602.0

david@london

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2018, 12:18:46 PM
I miss one?

this is an ericsson DBH 1OO1 which pre-dated the british post office 300 series of 1937 by several years.
i believe that the then prince of wales saw one of these in stockholm and liked it so much he had one installed at his home.

https://www.ericsson.com/en/about-us/history/products/the-telephones/the-bakelite-telephone-1931

the BPO wanted a deskset with internal bell for business use and worked with ericsson on the design of the 300 series. i don't believe it ever came in brown.

edit - terry, your green 332 is really amazing.

monophone_lover

This i found in the Philippines I've had much luck here i collect colours in any brand.. AE i like most... it does have a bakelight finger wheel...

You guys now so much attached anthe version I think fro Italy? It's brown

Rob
ATCA # 4057

WEBellSystemChristian

I hate to be a Party Pooper, but are you sure it's Mottled Brown? I have a Leich crank desk set that was black originally, but now looks sort of mottled, like yours. The finish is similar to a black Bakelite handset, where it seems like the wood dust filler color shows through, giving it the brown hue in certain lighting conditions.

Do you have a better picture of it?

BTW, Terry, that Green 332 looks AWESOME! It looks like the color of a Lime Green Popsicle! :P
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

monophone_lover

Your correct....shame... I thought i got a real brain.. but I do have a un damaged telephone with the original LM ericsoon cardn the front... very good eye. And after wiping it with damp cloth nd opening it it is indeed black...:-(

Mayb next time
Rob
ATCA # 4057

monophone_lover

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 13, 2018, 05:47:18 PM
Quite likely....they exist. My green GPO 332 has a Bakelite FW.

Terry

Very nice phone and color
Rob
ATCA # 4057

AE_Collector

Quote from: david@london on January 13, 2018, 06:08:33 PM
this is an ericsson DBH 1OO1 which pre-dated the british post office 300 series of 1937 by several years.
i believe that the then prince of wales saw one of these in stockholm and liked it so much he had one installed at his home.

https://www.ericsson.com/en/about-us/history/products/the-telephones/the-bakelite-telephone-1931

the BPO wanted a deskset with internal bell for business use and worked with ericsson on the design of the 300 series. i don't believe it ever came in brown.

edit - terry, your green 332 is really amazing.

Uhh, I think that is what me green one is! I'm not at home to check but will be soon. I think that is what I saw stamped on the base of it. Someone once told me that only Ericsson made the Bakelite fingerwheels. I just assumed that it was Ericsson's version of the 332 made for the GPO. It was acquired in Canada but I don't know anything of its history.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: monophone_lover on January 13, 2018, 08:13:41 PM
Your correct....shame... I thought i got a real brain.. but I do have a un damaged telephone with the original LM ericsoon cardn the front... very good eye. And after wiping it with damp cloth nd opening it it is indeed black...:-(

Mayb next time

Are you certain! I know that in pictures, black Bakelite can look somewhat brown but this one including the fingerwheel definitely looks mottled Brown. And, it fooled you in the store where you bought it. Sure looks like the AE mahogany or Walnut phones to me in the pictures.

Terry

rdelius

I ave seen a atea belgium set made in late 44 or early 45 the bakelite was definatly brown. Have also seen handsets on the German field phones that seemed more brown. . Could this have been a wartime  formula change to use the black ( carbon ?) for other items?

AE_Collector

Still looks like it could easily be brown Bakelite to me. But, I know that pictures can do that to some black Bakelite.

I created a new topic about my Green Phone to get some more info from the experts here on the forum. It is here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19602.0

Terry

Doug Rose

Colors can fool you. Look at my AE#2, in this light next to a Black A1 and an Ivory Siemens....it sure looks brown to me....Doug
Kidphone