"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E1 Ringer with loosely moving volume control lever

Started by RotoTech99, June 07, 2017, 12:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a NE E1A ringer that the vol. control lever is loose on: The formed head holding control cam and lever look ok, but the lever moves like it is a bit loose, and wouldn't stay in position except for the loud, extreme loud and soft settings.Would bending the lever enough so it touches the frame more, giving some friction to help the lever remain in a set volume alleviate that?

I've seen some of the E1A's modified by replacing the little formed rivet on top of the volume cam with a self tapping screw after drilling a hole in the shaft mounting the cam and lever to allow the screw to hold the cam and lever snugger, but I'd like to avoid that if I can.

Any advice and comments, please?

Thank you,
RotoTech99

Victor Laszlo

Bend the handle to create friction. Slip a short piece of wire insulation over the handle to make it work even better. It's your ringer, and doing so will not lessen its value.

Ktownphoneco

RT   ....   I have no idea as to how much space has developed between the ringer cam and the static or fixed washer held in place by the rivet which is causing everything to loosen up, but if in fact there is sufficient space, you could try using some synthetic fishing line to take up the space between that static riveted washer, and the larger washer attached to the plastic cam.     If I were trying to do what you've explained, I'd use the synthetic woven fishing line, not the simple nylon line, and form a "loop" in the line, slide it over the top fixed or static washer and see if you can wedge it between that washer, and the washer attached to the top of the ringer adjustment cam.    If you can, use 2 pairs of pliers to pull the loop tight and add an additional loop, and pull that tight to create a knot, then cut off the loose ends as close to the washers as possible.    All you basically doing, is removing the space or excessive play between the two washers and creating more friction between the moving parts.
If the pedestal supporting the cam and adjustment mechanism were made of steel, I'd say drill a small hole at the center point in the rivet and use a round nosed punch to cause a little expansion in the rivet head, the E1A ringers appear to use either white metal or similar material to form the post, and trying to "whack" it with a hammer an punch is not a real good idea.

Jeff Lamb