"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Advice on a 5302

Started by rp2813, February 16, 2010, 12:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rp2813

Hey all,

I spotted what appeared to be a 5302 on Craigslist and just this morning received the shot of the bottom of the phone.  It's definitely a 302 base, but I'm looking for some advice because it appears there's no ringer adjusting lever.

I've attached a picture.  I'm liking this phone because it has a G1 handset.  The seller doesn't yet know that I'm on the other side of the country, so I don't know if he'd be willing to pack it up and ship it to me at my expense, or if it would survive the trip, but it's priced cheap enough to take the risk.

Can anyone advise on whether this phone is complete based on the attached photo?  I've seen the front shot (but the ad is no longer coming up for me to pull it and post it here) and it was all there.

Thanks for any help with this,

Ralph
Ralph

Dan/Panther

According to the bottom of my 5302, the ringer adjustment mechanism is either missing, was not installed, or is inside the phone. My 5302 also came with an F1 handset not the G1.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

LarryInMichigan

Ralph,

I don't think that the phone has a ringer.  I would expect to see the gongs through the holes.  Has the seller indicated that the phone works other than the ringer?  If the only thing missing is the ringer, you can always buy one and add it.  I just finished cleaning and reassembling a 5302 yesterday.  It has a GF handset which is a G1 with an F1 transmitter and an HA1 receiver.  The transmitter cap is a real headache.  I also have a 5302 with an F1 handset.

Larry

rp2813

Thanks for the info thus far.  I think it's correct that the phone is missing its ringer.  I can scrounge one up, but wouldn't it be more difficult to find one that has an adjusting mechanism than just a standard non-adjustable 302 version?

I would for sure want to retrofit the handset with the F1 and HA1 elements.

I guess now I need to find out if the guy is willing to go to the trouble of packing it and shipping it.  It's not like I can show up at his door with cash and be done with it, so he may balk at going to the trouble since it's not a big ticket item.
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

Ralph,

The 5302 uses the same ringer as the 302.  The only difference is that one of the two gongs is mounted to a separate bracket which allows the gong position to be adjusted by moving a lever which stick out through one of the holes in the base.  If you had posted your questions a couple of days ago, I could have taken pictures of mine while the phone was dismantled.

Regarding the transmitter and receiver elements, you cannot just insert F1 and HA1 elements into any G1 handset.  The receiver requires a special cup and possibly also a special cap.  The transmitter cup is specially designed to hold the F1 transmitter, and it has two parts to it.  The outsides of the caps indicate that they are these special types.  The transmitter cup has an "F" in the middle of it, and the receiver has an "H".

If you don't mind my asking, how much does this seller want for the phone?  If you look enough on ebay, you will likely find one for cheap.  I paid $12.50 for my first one (with the F1 handset), and the second one came with 2 1/2 500s, for a total of $6.  Note that many, if not most of the 5302s on ebay are not listed as such.  The ones that are listed as 5302s probably go for more.

Larry

Phonesrfun

You should know that a G handset cannot take an F1 and HA1 elements.  the special GF handset was made for that purpose.  so, unless you go out and get a GF handset, you will either need to stay with the G handset with the T1 and U1 elements, or switch to an F1 handset.

The 5302's work better with the F1 and HA1 elements, so changing over to an F1 hadset would be a good idea.  The F1/U1 element combo is too sensitive and makes the phone seem loud and accentuates the sidetone on a 5302.
-Bill G

rp2813

Oh yeah, I'm aware that I can't just put F1 elements into a G1 handset without some adapters.  But I didn't realize that the handset itself needs to be a GF type. 

Here's a picture of the phone.  I might be over-paying but I really want one with a G1 or GF handset.  I'm going for the 500 look, not for a cross-over look.  I really don't care for the pairing of a 500-style base with a 302 handset.  I also prefer using a G1/GF handset over the F1.  I would have passed on this phone if I saw it had an F1 handset.
Ralph

rp2813

Thanks to those who have sent me messages and e-mails.  I've reconsidered this particular phone, as I'm pretty sure it's priced higher than I thought.  Still, I'm feeling fairly proud of myself for spotting it as a 5302 without seeing the base :-D
Ralph

McHeath

You know you are getting deep in the madness when you can spot a 5302 by a somewhat blurry little picture. ;D

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rp2813 on February 16, 2010, 02:16:07 PM
Oh yeah, I'm aware that I can't just put F1 elements into a G1 handset without some adapters.  But I didn't realize that the handset itself needs to be a GF type. 

Here's a picture of the phone.  I might be over-paying but I really want one with a G1 or GF handset.  I'm going for the 500 look, not for a cross-over look.  I really don't care for the pairing of a 500-style base with a 302 handset.  I also prefer using a G1/GF handset over the F1.  I would have passed on this phone if I saw it had an F1 handset.

I think the only handset difference is the caps. ISTR that the handle is the same.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

rp2813

Jim, it appears you're correct about the handset being the same, but the caps being different. 

Since starting this thread, I've secured a different phone than the one pictured, and it apparently will have the caps to accommodate F1 components.  Yippeeee!

And yeah, that dial bezel on the pictured phone had the lettering a little too close to the edges compared to the black 500 on my desk here, and it appeared to be more raised above the case than the one on my 500 too.  If not for this forum, I would never have known to take a closer look at it.

I'm really looking forward to examining this hybrid model more closely after I receive it.  My "first" 5302, and equipped with the handset I was hoping for.  Probably the best adaptive re-use example ever to come out of WECo.

Ralph
Ralph

LarryInMichigan

Ralph,

How did you get a 5302 so quickly?  When you get it, look carefully at the transmitter cap.  If it is a "F"-type cap, it will be composed of two parts.  The threads which screw onto the handset are on a ring which itself screws into the cap and holds the transmitter capsule in place.  On mine, it is a huge pain to remove the ring, but I needed to remove the transmitter so that I could properly clean and disinfect the moldy cap (which is made of tenite).

Larry

rp2813

Let's just say the phone fell into my lap as a result of this thread.  The math on that shouldn't be too difficult for members here, but I'll leave it to the current owner of the phone to "out" himself if he wants.

And yes, I was advised that the caps were not easy to remove or replace.  I guess I'll need to get my hands on a hair dryer once the phone arrives.
Ralph

Greg G.

Definitely is missing the ringer.  Mine came with a ringer, but no bells, but I've since installed the bells.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Wallphone

Larry, I took the F cap off my G1 handset and the element was stuck in it.
I kept looking for that threaded insert you are talking about but couldn't find it.
I got the element out by grabbing it with pliers.
After reading you talk about that insert again the light bulb went on.
I looked at the handset and there it was, still on the handset.
I think it was designed to stay on the handset like mine did.
Dougpav