( dead link 01-31-22 )
Kidphone

paul-f

It's up with a BIN and reserve...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160915985980
( dead link 01-31-22 )
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

Maybe very rare, but also has many issues., like the very large crack up the front. It is mentioned but still.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

kleenax

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 04, 2012, 03:42:46 PM
Maybe very rare, but also has many issues., like the very large crack up the front. It is mentioned but still.
D/P
Na, not rare at all, and worth about $500-$650 max in it's present condition. Scarce maybe, but certainly not rare. The word is used WAY too much in our hobby in my opinion.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan/Panther on November 04, 2012, 03:42:46 PM
D/P
its funny...I flagged the auction to look at later. I went back and it was gone. I noticed the nick out of the handset, but not the huge crack until I went back and looked at it after Paul posted it was back.  It has been polished very well, BUT over $600 for a phone with a crack that big. WOW!! I would rather have a painted version, than have that crack staring at me all the time. Or should I say, my wife staring at me. You paid how much for a broken phone??
Kidphone

Dan/Panther

I recently bought a guitar that came with a broken headstock. So I claimed insurance, and got my money back. It cost me $150.00 to get the neck professionally repaired, and practically undetectable, the guitar was one I had been looking for, but still it is not one I would keep permanently, as soon as I find another I'll sell this one. I could sell as is, as it's a perfect repair, but by listing the repair, it cuts the value to practically nothing. But not to list the repair would be wrong. The thing is, it's totally cosmetic, and  principle, the instrument plays just like it should. No matter how well done a repair is, it's never acceptable to a collector.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

AE_Collector

Does anyone know what "New old stock reproduction Dark Blue cords" are?

"The top of the receiver has a small indentation, a ding if you will. This does not hurt the quality of the sound at all; it is merely aesthetic."

This seems like a statement for a black 500 series phone, not a dark blue 302 that one would shell out a lot of money for aesthetic reasons and on the other hand, probably wouldn't mind if the little ding DID affect the sound quality!

Probably not a good Auction Contest Item? The reserve seems to have been met or removed as it is at $613 currently. Let me know if there is interest in doing it as a contest.

Terry

Doug Rose

Does anyone know what "New old stock reproduction Dark Blue cords" are?

Terry...Crazy Little Company in Canada just North of the US called OPW. Bought this contraption fro Odis. I don't like them, but most collectors do.

Kidoldfashion
Kidphone

Jester

D/P,
So true!  I play a different instrument, but what you say about the value of "original" versus "restored/ repaired" is spot on.  I recall an incident involving a really expensive bow that one of my professors owned that broke at the tip!! :o :o  She had it repaired, and insurance replaced it.  Bottom line, she preferred the repaired bow to the replacement, but she could never sell the repaired one  for its original value.  The replacement would always maintain the higher appraisal value, but the repaired implement would still beat the "valuable" one handily in usability.
Stephen

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 09, 2012, 08:22:02 PM
Crazy Little Company in Canada just North of the US called OPW. Bought this contraption from Odis. I don't like them, but most collectors do.

Kidoldfashion

Yes I too would assume that is what was put on the phone when it was recently refurbished but, wouldn't those be "Reproduction Cords"?  "New Old Stock" and "Reproduction" are two different things that to me don't belong in the same sentence. I think that New Old Stock implies that they are old original equipment cords that happen to have never been used before. IE: found in storage somewhere such as the new in the package AECo Extensicords that Steve Hilsz has (or had).

Terry

Dennis Markham

If the OPW cords were purchased today and put away for 50 years,  would they then be "new old stock reproduction cords"?

AE_Collector

Doug Rose

"Ain't nothin' but the real thing Baby."  

My stance on OPW and Phoneco has never wavered, fake is fake. What is the saying that Phoneco uses, "upgraded dials" when they remove the great old original dial and put on the plastic repro,  with that insulting stick on dial card.

Education is key!

Put it away for fifty years and it is still a fake. Just my humble opinion.

We collect Vintage telephones.  It is only original once! Don't ruin your beauties with this sh*t.

Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 09, 2012, 08:42:45 PM
If the OPW cords were purchased today and put away for 50 years,  would they then be "new old stock reproduction cords"?

I was only making a joke. 

AE_Collector

In the case of blue cloth cords for a blue 302, there really isn't a source for replacements other than something like OPW sells....is there? If they weren't making new old cloth cords the option would be a satin silver spring cord. Maybe in the case of a prized blue 302 you would swipe a brown cloth cord off of an early black 302 to put on the blue 302 and then put the satin silver spring cord on the black 302...

Terry