News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 66 possibility

Started by Dan, April 01, 2011, 10:31:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

High on everyone's list is this 302 Blue beauty. It is already at $150 and the sky is the limit.

http://tinyurl.com/3rlfrvw
( dead link - 10-10-21 )

Someone please transfer a picture of this beauty for me so the auction will make more sense for the archives.

I'm going $ 1,535.34 :o :o :o
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on April 01, 2011, 10:31:40 AM
High on everyone's list is this 302 Blue beauty. It is already at $150 and the sky is the limit.

http://tinyurl.com/3rlfrvw

Someone please transfer a picture of this beauty for me so the auction will make more sense for the archives.

I'm going $ 1,535.34 :o :o :o
Look at that handset, it has grooves....it looks painted to me. Limited Pictures....Warning Will Robinson ....DANGER .....DANGER... Robot
Kidphone

JimH

Looks painted to me too, but it sure is pretty!
Jim H.

Doug Rose

Quote from: JimH on April 01, 2011, 10:51:54 AM
Looks painted to me too, but it sure is pretty!
I asked seller, he said it was "original." I asked him to unscrew the caps. No answer. Its a good space holder, but not the real deal. No open face finger either...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Notice how you cannot read the Western Electric under the handset grip. Polene. Goes on thick, won't chip. I had one as a placeholder for many years. $200 is about what its worth.....Doug
Kidphone

JimH

This looks like the "painted blue 302" from Old Phone Works, right down to the repro blue dial card.  Sometimes if the person bought it that way, they don't know it's painted.

Here's the Old Phone Works phone (top), and the Auction phone (bottom).  

They look almost the same, exept the lighting makes the auction phone look more teal.
Jim H.

Dan

That's why I stay away from 302's!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

Does the color seem a lttle off to anyone else?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

It does look turquoise and should look more like my avatar color. The blues do yellow over time.

GG

Y'all have probably noticed this, but the dial has a solid-center fingerwheel, and it's a #6 dial, and the number card appears to be printed rather than a blue mask over a white card per original. 

Methinks an Old Phone Works creation.  Excellent work of course, but not the same thing as a blue plastic 302. 

And while we're on the topic of Polane paint jobs, is there anyone out there who'll do those to order, and can color-match components?   I'm thinking of my smashed & repaired HES 2+10 in gray, for which the repair isn't quite up to my normal spec, but the whole thing might look better if given the Polane treatment.  I would also be reluctant to bake on a finish on this one since the heat might cause the acrylic repair areas to expand differently than the bakelite, and break out again.

JimH

This painted-polane beauty is up to $610!  WT*???!!!  Somebody's going to be very disappointed! 
Jim H.

Doug Rose

Seller never answered me about unscrewing the caps. They must know. This is a shame....Doug
Kidphone

JimH

I just emailed for more photos.  It's definately got a groove on the handset. Looks like new cords, possibly a dial overlay, and repro clear plungers.
Jim H.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dan on April 01, 2011, 06:16:14 PM
That's why I stay away from 302's!
Dan....no reason to stay away from 302s because of this, like any phone; the more knowledge you have the easier it is to spot an issue. In my opinion, the 302 is still the coolest looking phone that was ever made. From the heavy metal 8 pounders to black thermoplastic to color thermoplastic to the variants with an on off (305) to two line (410) to multi line 302s (444). The 302 was the workhorse of the Bell System for over 15 years, so there are alot of them out there. I had a blue polane coated on for many years as a place holder. Its tough to spot, even up close. It feels just like thermoplastic. With a handset that doubles as a weapon, there is no better phone than a 302. In-destructable, easy to repair and just so cool looking....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: Kenny C on April 01, 2011, 06:19:17 PM
Does the color seem a lttle off to anyone else?

Maybe it's been "aged".  ;)
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e