Green with envy

Started by JorgeAmely, July 19, 2009, 04:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

190321217930, from our friend finlover.
Jorge

HobieSport

Going, going...

I'm glad Fin gets good prices. He puts so much very good work into the phones and some of the best presentations on Ebay.

Go Finlover!
-Matt

bingster

Quite a pretty phone, and with a set of gray cords, too.

= DARRIN =

HobieSport

going... going... GONE. Sold for 560. Good for Fin.

I have a new respect for Moss Green.
-Matt

finlover

Thanks you guys for the support!  I'm shocked that it brought this much, even with gray cords.  Now I'm nervous that it will meet the buyer's expectations... :-\
This sale makes up for the nearly perfect pink 500 that I sold last week.  That one only made it to $100, when I was hoping for at least $200.

Jester

Finlover,

I felt the same thing about that pink one.  I just knew it would go to double the ending price.  If a moss green 500 will get you that much, though, what would a rose- beige or mahogany do? :o :o

BTW, was this green phone the softshell you were removing polane from?  If it was, do tell what you found would work without doing harm.  I have a soft green one with just this problem.
Stephen

finlover

No, this wasn't the polane covered one.  That phone is aqua and the condition of the paint is so nice I just might polish it up and sell it as it is, even though it's not usually my policy to sell painted phones.  Our friend Jorge confirmed recently that Easy Off has no effect on polane, but does work on some other paints without harming the plastic.

The green one that just sold was given to me by a co-worker who paid $5 for it at a church-sponsored garage sale.  Apparently it spent many years in a barn and was covered in greasy dirt when I got it.  Lots of cleaning, a hydrogen peroxide treatment, sanding and polishing brought it back to life. 

Phonesrfun

Finlover:

In some experiments I did and others too, for that matter, with bleaching, we found that it can be pretty harmful to any color of phone except white.  How did you get such fantastic results from the peroxide treatment, or are we looking at a relatively lighter moss green phone from the bleaching process?  If that is the case, I must ask how you were able to pull it off without the blotching.  Or is that a trade secret?  ???

-Bill
-Bill G

foots

Way to go finlover! Congrats on the sale. I thought about reselling some phones but I always get attached to them and end up keeping them or trading one for something else. I guess I'm just a pack rat.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

finlover

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 20, 2009, 01:49:33 AM
Finlover:

In some experiments I did and others too, for that matter, with bleaching, we found that it can be pretty harmful to any color of phone except white.  How did you get such fantastic results from the peroxide treatment, or are we looking at a relatively lighter moss green phone from the bleaching process?  If that is the case, I must ask how you were able to pull it off without the blotching.  Or is that a trade secret?  ???

-Bill
Hi, Bill,
It's no trade secret, I just switched from using 40% peroxide solution to 20% and check it frequently.  It takes longer to get results but it's safer.  In general, I've found that the peroxide treatment works better on hard plastic than soft, and that pink seems to be more susceptible to "blushing" than other colors.

finlover

Quote from: foots on July 20, 2009, 05:00:07 AM
Way to go finlover! Congrats on the sale. I thought about reselling some phones but I always get attached to them and end up keeping them or trading one for something else. I guess I'm just a pack rat.
Thanks, foots!!  I know what you mean about becoming attached.  I almost kept this one, but my own soft plastic green 500 is dead mint, although it's not worth as much since it's an early '59 with green cords.

McHeath

I was following this auction and am impressed with the price.  It's a very neat phone and if I'd had the loot burning a hole in my pocket it would have been on my desk, but alas. :(