News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ATCA National Show in Shipshewanna

Started by HarrySmith, July 27, 2010, 08:18:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Only a little over a week left until the ATCA show in Indiana. This looks like one of the biggest shows ever! Reports from ATCA indicate the room is filled, the hallway and foyer also! I have planned my vacation around it. This will be my first big phone show and the first I have attended from start to finish. I stopped at the Florida show in January but only for a couple of hours and I was too late to get any good stuff, all the collectors get there early and snatch up the really good stuff! This will also be the first time I am offering phones and stuff for sale. Anyone else from here planning on attending?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Kenny C

I would love to go but I have no car  :(just wait til I can drive you will see me at every show
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bellsystemproperty

I wish I could, but it's too far away. Also I'd probably come home with so much stuff it wouldn't fit on the plane!  ;D ;D
C*NET # 794-5953 (KYLE)

Phonesrfun

Harry, and everyone else:

I have read the things coming out about the show, and I think it is definitely one to go to if you can make it.  Unfortunately, I cannot either, but it would be well worth anyone's time and money to do so.

There are so many innumerable benefits to attending a phone show, and especially a "national" show.  The word "national" is kind of a misnomer, because due to the travel for many, it winds up that the national shows wind up being kind of regional by default.  However, these national shows are always held in areas of the country where there are many collectors, and what winds up happening is these shows are very large as compared to the truly regional shows.

The advantages to attending the shows are:

A very large variety of phones and parts all in one location
Much better prices than e-Bay or Craig's list and especially better than antique stores
Knowlegeable collectors with years of experience
A social experience built around collecting
Getting to know others in your area and who has parts you may from time to time be looking for
The educational aspect of how phones and systems were used
Talking to others about cleaning and restoring techniques

The list goes on and on.

Maybe that one part or dial or cord will be on someone's table!

These are very friendly venues.  Some of you on this forum are relatively new to the hobby, and others are young.  If you are, you may feel self conscious about approaching someone who has been collecting for years and years, thinking they would think less of you for being new.  NOT SO!!!   Everyone realizes that we need newer people and younger people to carry on the hobby.  People at shows go out of their way to be friendly.

Often we comment here that the mood on the club listserves of ATCA and TCI is blunt and unfriendly.  Do not make the mistake of thinking that is the way all club members are and do not think that you would be treated badly at a show.  It is just not the case.

Another hesitation people often wonder about is whether you need to be a card-carrying member of ATCA or TCI to attend or participate in the shows.  Rest assured, you do not need to be a member of either club, although when you see what club membership has to offer, you may decide to join, but nobody is going to try to get you to do so either.

Lastly, people wonder if anyone is making a killing on putting on these shows.  As one who has done the Seattle area regional show twice, now, I am here to tell you that the person or clubs that put these on consider them to be a rousing success when everyone leaves happy.  They also consider it a success if they break even.

The men and women who put these on are very dedicated to the hobby, and want you, the collectors to be happy, and they hope to put on an event that allows everyone to come to the table and get something out of it.

Don't let that one phone you have always been wanting get snatched up by someone else!  Go to a show.

-Bill G

Wallphone

Very well said Bill.
As a past Board member / Secretary of TCI, I can only speak for the TCI shows.
As Bill said, the goal of a TCI show is to break even and for everyone to have a good time.
It's always nice to finally meet someone that you made friends with on-line,
or to once again see the friends that you have already met.
We usually make a few bucks on the show at the end when we have the auction.
There are many good deals at the auction and it is fun to see too.
Some people have items auctioned for themselves and some donate the items to TCI,
and TCI keeps the proceeds. Very few items have "reserves" on them and that is where the great deals come in.
Also, at the TCI shows is where the Switcher community gets together with their displays.
The fist time I saw the switcher displays at Ray Kotke's regional Michigan show, I was hooked.
There are always some great phone displays too whether it be colored 5302's or 554's,
or the evolution of the Trimline cord from a member that worked at that factory.
The 16th Annual TCI Labor Day Show will be in Erlanger Ky., just over the bridge from Cinnci.
Often on this Forum I hear about how the other Listserves are crude & rude.
Again, I can only speak for the TCI Listserv.
As great as this Forum is, it is very seldom that one size fits all. Each Forum / Listserv has it's own character.
If you can't find the answer that you are looking for here, don't be afraid to ask the TCI Listserv.
As a Moderator of the TCI Listserv I can tell you that we don't put up with rudeness.
Please let me know if you ever have a problem.
While the TCI Listserv doesn't allow the off topic discussions that you will find here,
don't over look the knowledge that you will find there.
Remember, one size does not fit all.
Thanks for listening,
Dougpav

Dennis Markham

Great points Bill & Doug.  I have yet to attend one of the "national" shows but have enjoyed going to the local, Mason, MI shows for several years in a row.  It sounds like the Shipshewanna show will be a great one and I'd love to be able to attend. 

There is really no better way to find good "stuff" and meet many collectors with a lot of knowledge about the things we all like to collect and discuss----telephones and related things.  I too remember the switching equipment that I saw at the Mason show.  It is really impressive to see the switching equipment "live" and to hear how calls are made.

HarrySmith

Yes, I still remember the sound of the step switch that was set up at the Maitland show. I cannot imagine a whole big room of them working all at once :o
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

I am preparing my trip to the Shipshewanna show. I will be driving from South Florida to the show. I thought maybe there are some members along the way that would welcome a quick visit or an overnight guest. Also possibly someone else making the drive that wants to hook up on the road. I will be driving over 1300 miles, 22 hour trip through 5 states. I plan on leaving Wednesday morning and arriving on Friday afternoon. The route I have planned right now takes me up the Florida Turnpike to I-75 into Georgia, a short trip on I-475 in Georgia and back to I-75 into Tennessee, onto I-24 to I-65 through Kentucky then into Indiana to I-465/I-74 to I-69/IN-37 to IN-3 to US-6 to IN-9 to US-20 and finally to IN-5 to the show. Any slight deviations to your place would be OK, I would love to check out your collections! if there are any takers let me know and we will exchange phone numbers. Hope to meet lots of you at the show and on the way ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Looks like 9 hours drive on Wednesday will put me around Macon Georgia and 10 hours on Thursday will put me near Indianapolis. That leaves me only 3 or 4 hours on Friday to get to the show so I can sleep in a little to be ready!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"