News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Restoring a 293 (G)

Started by sebbel, December 07, 2012, 09:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebbel

I was give a dial 293 with a Bulldog and no dial. I was wondering if this transmitter is more appropriate for the 293 and if a 2AB dial is the correct dial.

Also I can't find a diagram for a 293 with dial does anyone have one?

Thank.
Seb.

Phonesrfun

Seb:

I am about to go and buy a 293 from a friend, and I can let you know what kind of transmitter it has on it.  As for the dial, I have not seen one with a dial either.  All the photos I have seen show no dial.  Do you have a picture of the one you are working on?

-Bill
-Bill G

sebbel

It's an N293G specifically.  Just like the one here.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6974.0

I'll post picture later.
Seb.

Phonesrfun

Wow.  I guess I missed the thread from before.  I will let you know what transmitter and mount the one I get has on it.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 08, 2012, 07:55:59 PM
Wow.  I guess I missed the thread from before.  I will let you know what transmitter and mount the one I get has on it.

The later N-293 GP and other sub versions used a bulldog transmitter. We used these common battery phones here on PEI when the Summerside exchange was first installed in 1950.

See:

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/telephone1.html

Halfway down the page... These were often painted black originally.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Well, I had hoped to be the owner of a 293 tonight (No dial), but it had already sold.  Dang.  So, I can't tell what kind of transmitter it had on it.
-Bill G

sebbel

The only person who can is poplar since my phone is an exact match to his.  I couldn't possiblit have been fitted with a bulldog. The screw on the bulldog mount don't line up.  The oval hole is too big. Something goes in it.

I'm trying to figure out what the mount on his is. If you look at it the mount goes inside the hole...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6974.0

Seb.

poplar1

Your transmitter mount pictured looks like a 3A. The 3A ("butterfly") was used on the non-dial WE 293A and on early Gray pay phones.

The transmitter mount on my Northern 293G looks very much like the 7A transmitter mount used on WE metal "hotel set" wall phones 553A and 653A. The mount is attached to the front of both phones with 2 machine screws; on the N 293G this requires a metal plate attached to the wood front.

The transmitter bell ("cup") on my N 293G happens to be two-piece style but probably a standard NE one (as used on desk stands) would work.

If you have a NE "cup" then either a bulldog 635A transmitter or earlier 323 would fit and the holes would line up.

Can someone with a NE catalog see if there is a part number for the transmitter mount on the N293-G? Also, does anyone know if the 3A transmitter mount was used on the Northern Electric 293A?

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

sebbel

Thank for the info. Any chance you can post a picture of how the transmitter attaches to the front? I'm having a hard time picturing that metal plate.
Seb.

poplar1

Can someone provide a link to the NE T3 or T6 catalog? Thanks

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on December 08, 2012, 11:12:55 PM
Can someone with a NE catalog see if there is a part number for the transmitter mount on the N293-G? Also, does anyone know if the 3A transmitter mount was used on the Northern Electric 293A?

Not specified as far as I can see. I placed a copy of the N-293 page from T-3 on your original topic. I do have both catalogues, but they are too large to send with my slower internet connection. It would take an hour of more to send one of them. I know of no download link for them.

Additionally, I was given these copies by another collector who scanned them, but I have no agreement with him which would allow me to share them with others. I wouldn''t want him to get angry with me because I passed it along. I wish I could.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

OK, I thought the T3 and T6 catalogs were on TCI site but can't find it with a search.

So I took the phone apart and the part inside that holds the transmitter cup is marked 7A, same as on the WE 533A, 553A and 653A. I may have an extra WE 7A on a parts phone.

The plate is just a rectangular piece of brass with a slot for the back of the cup and 2 holes for machine screws that go through the wood to  hold the 7A, and 4 small holes for the wood screws that hold the plate on the front of the phone.  The 7A is actually inside the phone.

I don't have access to a digital camera right now. Dave, is there any way you could take some pictures of the transmitter parts on your N293GP when you have time?

Does anyone else have either a non-dial or dial NE 293?

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 12:33:04 AM
I don't have access to a digital camera right now. Dave, is there any way you could take some pictures of the transmitter parts on your N293GP when you have time?
Yes, I can, but it will be a little while - I have been ill, and don't know when I will be going over to the museum where i have the phone mounted... I will do it as soon as I get over there.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Dave, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Also, I forgot that the museum was closed for the cold season.

Is it still true that in Canada there are two seasons, Winter and July?

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on December 09, 2012, 01:00:10 AM
Dave, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Also, I forgot that the museum was closed for the cold season.

Is it still true that in Canada there are two seasons, Winter and July?
Well, it certainly seems like two seasons some times. Pretty mild today, 6.1 deg c., but it has so far been down to minus 10 c. a couple of days this season, and will get a lot cooler.

Yes, I have been getting pretty familiar with the nurses at the Montague Hospital, going for IV antibiotics twice each day this week and last. It has left me feeling pretty well wiped out, and my foot where the infection was really hurts, though not as bad as before the IVs. It is a lot nicer not sitting on the IV pump for two hours morning and again in the evening! But at least now I am on expensive  oral antibiotics, I have about  5 hours more time for myself each day than I have had for the past two weeks! At least I am on the mend!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001