News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 197G need help with wiring and coin Hopper

Started by Bob S, April 03, 2019, 11:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob S

Hi I just bought this phone and looking to purchase a Stan's controller. I have attached pictures of coin hopper plastic part coin relay and hopper. I need to know how to install the plastic part and wire the coin relay in a 197G I found the wiring diagram on TCI and I am confused exactly where the 4 wires goes I have copied the wiring diag of a 197G Looks like (1 goes to (Y) Ground is it ok to hook to L2)  (2  goes to SL on switch) (3 goes to M on induction coil) and (1 goes to X There is no x terminial do I need to put a jumper in from I on coin relay to the BK tie point in my upper outer housing. I plan to hook up to a Stan's controller once I know every thing works and hooked up properly.

HarrySmith

I am not a payphone expert so I cannot answer your questions but I do know that in order for Stan's controller to work the phone has to be completely original, no modifications at all. I also believe if it is wired as originally intended it will not work on a POTS line.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Ktownphoneco

Bob  .... Does your coin collector have a second suffix letter after them "G", or is it simply "197G" ?      Does your set have a 101B induction coil in it ?     That red plastic piece is called the coin trap.   How many other pieces or parts do you have that go with that coin trap ?     You should have the trap, which you have, plus the trap lever which should have the trap lever spring attached to it, and lastly, the trap pin.    The trap pin has an odd shape to it, and looks like a big square "U" shape with a goose neck in one corner of the "U", "sort of".     I've attached a picture of the parts I'm referring to, so you can see what they look like.   Click & double click to enlarge.

Jeff Lamb

Bob S

Thanks Jeff It is a 197G and it has A 101B induction Coil the hopper in the picture is all I have and the red plastic part the trap is missing with spring

Ktownphoneco

Bob  ....   So your missing the trap (red part in your picture) and the trap lever, and the trap lever spring, in other words, your missing all 3 parts. Correct ?    You'll need to acquire all 3 parts before attaching the coin relay.    The relay operates the coin trigger, the coin trap and the vane which directs the coins to either the coin box in the vault, or to the coin return hopper.
You might want to check with one of the CRPF members, "Payphone Installer" and see if has the necessary parts available for sale.

Bob  ....   I'm adding this by way of an edit.   Regarding your question as to where the conductors attach to the coin relay and according to the schematic you've supplied :   (A) One wire from "M" on the 101-B induction coil to terminal "3" on the relay.   (B) a second wire from "Ground" to "G" on the relay (if my memory is working, that "ground" conductor should be from Stan's controller to "G" on the relay.     (C) a third wire from the "SL" terminal at the hook switch on the lower housing, to terminal "2" on the relay.  (D) a fourth conductor from "RR" on the induction coil to terminal "3" on the relay, and (E) a conductor from "X" on the lower housing transfer contacts, to terminal "1" on the relay.      As I mentioned, that's the connections indicated by the schematic you've provided.

Jeff

Bob S

Bob S

Update I had a bad wire jumper and thought it was the 101B coil and after replacing with 101A and wiring like a 202 it worked.  so I put the 101B back in it and started checks on wiring and found bad connection on self piercing terminal. Finally started working  I added a Jumper since the phone did not originally have a 4 wire coin relay from the BX tie point in the upper housing to the terminal 1 on the coil. Now when the coin trips the lever I get A dial tone. Ready for a Stan's controller. Adding pictures of what I did to test. Thanks to Jim and Stan He helped me and I am getting parts for hopper and locks. He sent me a coin bucket, coin relay and lower lock.  Big Thanks to Jim Engle and to Stan. They really knows there Pay Phones

Bob S

Update to wirring diagram used on 197G

Bob S

Just Finished restored to original. Hooked up to Stan's controller and Xlink thanks to Jim and Stan ever thing is original and working it has a 10G upper lock and 30C lower lock and double coil relay. will be getting coil cover and relay cover to complete.