News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My 5302G

Started by Gary, September 21, 2010, 08:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Just received a 5302G-GF yesterday.  Got it with a Buy It Now for $5 + $17 shipping.  It's in great shape and has a bakelite G1 handset.  This is a neat looking phone, I like the short body!  The dial spins really smooth.  One thing though is the transmitter is stuck in the mouthpiece cover.  Doesn't look like I can get it out past the threads.

Base 6/41
Ringer 6/41
Coil II 41
Capacitor II 41
Dial 5M II 41
Dial Face I 60
Case 4 14 60
HA1 receiver 5-26-47
F1 transmitter I 48 and 5-57T and 5-64T. 

Kenny C

nice deal the 5H dial is worth that alone.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

HarrySmith

Nice score, Gary ;D
Great phone for $22.00 ;D
Try heating up the handset with a hair dryer to get the element out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Gary

Thanks, yeah I have no idea why someone would BIN something like this for just $5, but I wasted no time in hitting that button.   Actually, the element isn't "stuck" as in frozen, it spins but it appears like it sits behind the threads.  Like the inner diameter of the thread is smaller than the outer diameter of the element.  ???

Kenny C

its very clean on the inside from the pictures
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

I like the G1 handset better than the f-1. Nice score :)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

Gary,

There is a trick to removing the transmitter capsule.  It has been discussed here before.  The transmitter cap is actually made of two parts.  The small inner ring is threaded on both its inner and outer sides and screws into the outer cap, holding the capsule in place.  You need to remove the inner ring to remove the capsule, and removing that ring can be tricky.

Larry

Kenny C

I have never saw screw on rubber feet have you guys? my 5302 has 2 leather feet  and 2 screw on neopreen feet 
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Gary

Kenny, yes, very clean and that's as received.  I've got it all apart now and will start cleaning up the outside.  The handset polished up pretty well.

Dan, I too like the G1 for this phone.  A much better fit.  Yes, I meant to ask about the rubber feet on this!  Of course they're pretty dried out.  Not cracked but not soft either.

Larry, thanks!  I'll look at it more closely.  Here's a photo, don't know if it shows up well here.

LarryInMichigan

Gary,

I tried to annotate your picture to indicate the two parts of the transmitter cap and the gap which is visible around the outer diameter.  The threads which screw onto the handset are part of the inner ring.

Larry

Gary

hmmmm, it appears these two sections are pretty well "fused" together.

LarryInMichigan

Gary,

I had a terrible time separating mine.  I found that if I squeeze the edges of the cap, the two parts start to separate a bit, and I can then start to unscrew them from each other.  The cap is soft plastic, so it is quite flexible, and also easily damaged.

Larry

Gary

Thanks for the help Larry but wow, simply not enough of any edge to grab firm enough.
As Curly would say "Oh, stubborn eh?"   :D

Gary

Got it!!!!!  wow, that certainly wasn't easy.  Had given up and was on my way down to the basement to put it back on the handset and while passing through the kitchen got an idea.  I grabbed this square piece of flat rubber in the utensil drawer my wife uses for opening tight jar lids and used it to get a grip on the inside part.

deedubya3800

The GF handset is quite a find, as well. Mine has a straight G1 with the T1/U1 elements. The GF, though, is truly in the spirit of the 5302, having the "500" look on the outside and the "302" guts on the inside. :)

Looks really nice, inside and out!  :)