News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring Problem on 102, or is it a 202 ??

Started by Larry, August 12, 2015, 10:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

[/quote]
It is actually permissible to connect two or more 102 telephones to a subset in parallel. This is one convenience feature that the 102 has over the 202. In a 102 all components inside the telephone are actually disconnected from the subset when on-hook, so you can use multiple 102s with one subset. Place the subset centrally in the house to hear ringing and use inside wiring to to a connection point by each phone with three conductors.
[/quote]

I may want to try this.  I'm uncertain what is meant by "use inside wiring to a connection point by each phone with three conductors".  At the street junction box there are only 2 wires connected to the interior of my home - white and blue.  The leads not connected at the junction box are red and green.  Can you explain what you mean by the "three conductors"?

Larry

poplar1

The line input to the subset = 2 conductors to L1 and L2 terminals in the subset
Output of the subset = 3 conductors from R GN and Y terminals inside the subset to the one or more 102s, 20ALs, 51ALs, etc.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

You can distribute the three wires, i.e. the output as Poplar1 called it, in your house with wiring (inside wiring=in house wiring) just like one would distribute the line to various rooms.  This way the subset is kept in a convenient location, for example a hall way where it can be heard ringing from all rooms.
In each room then, the mounting cord of the phone would connect to a connecting block (no. 42) or even a jack (No. 404B).

NorthernElectric

If you like the sound of your 295A subset ringing, you may find it more satisfying to obtain more subsets rather than sharing.  You can connect a D1 to a variety of subsets, sidetone or anti-sidetone, so it doesn't have to be a 295A.  If you're dying to get your other D1 in service before you find another subset, you can disconnect the handset and hookswitch from a 500 or 2500 series phone with a 425 series network and use that temporarily.  No permanent modifications are required, so you can put the 500/2500 back in working order later.  The most recent black 500 I got was at a yard sale for a buck.  You can also use a 302 but unless you've got a bunch of them you might want to keep to keep it intact and use it too.   :)

I'm not trying to dissuade you from the subset sharing idea, rather just suggesting other possibilities that might be less trouble and might fit better into the eventual growth of your collection.
Cliff