News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is this?

Started by Doug Rose, January 20, 2020, 08:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have never seen this before. Looks like a NE dial with a WE Independents handset. ...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Western-Electric-Cast-Aluminum-UNUSUAL-rotary-phone-telephone/174162270414
Kidphone

Key2871

I'm wondering if it's an apartment phone, the tabs on the back top look to hold a sign or directory of some sort.
KEN

Doug Rose

I thought that is where is screwed into the wall? One on the bottom as well....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

It looks homemade to me.

Larry

Doug Rose

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 20, 2020, 11:17:16 AM
It looks homemade to me.

Larry
I thought that as well Larry, but seems like a whole lot of work when wall phones were readily available...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

I will throw out the concept that it could be a war shortage telephone.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Kid:  I broke the phone dad.
Dad:  darn, it's rented son - we'll keep this to ourselves, come with me and we'll make another phone out of the parts. Now, I always wanted one of those fancy wall phones....
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

andre_janew

For all I know, it could be a phone made from a kit. 

SUnset2

The handset is a F1W, so it is non-Bell-System.

RB

Things that make you go ...Hmm??? :)

19and41

The front cover looks like it's welded construction with the exterior finished off.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

It may be that some company was making phone cases out of metal.  Send them your broken phone and they will send it back in a totally different case.  If so, there could be one out there with an AE dial and handset.

Doug Rose

I just got sent this 35% off for just looking at the auction. Weird....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

That's the eBay thing we were talking about in the topic on changing prices. I thought it was just watchers but I guess it's viewers too!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 22, 2020, 06:18:35 PM
That's the eBay thing we were talking about in the topic on changing prices. I thought it was just watchers but I guess it's viewers too!
thanks Harry...I totally missed that. I thought one day the auction $75 next day $50..next day $60. I was lost..Doug
Kidphone