News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Deveau Transmitter

Started by LarryInMichigan, August 21, 2011, 09:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I waked up to a booth at the flea market this morning, and the vendor was asking a customer if he knew what the thing she was holding was.  He had no idea, but I did.  It was a Deveau transmitter minus mouthpiece.  She wanted $20, and I am hopeless at flea markets, so I bought it.  I have no idea what it is really worth.  It is quite dirty, but I think that it should clean up well.  It does seem to work.

Does anyone have an idea of the year and value of this?

Thank You

Larry

Sargeguy

Nice,  my guess would be 1905-1918.  It is an uninsulated type, and the popularity of nickel dell off around WWI.  It is obviously from an intercon.  If you aren't keeping it I would let eBay determine the value.  These don't come up that often, and a lot of DeVeau candlesticks have WE transmitters on them.  I am sure there are a few collectors who would want it, and you may start a bidding war.  The again DeVeau made a lot of wall intercoms, so it could be worth $5.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

paul-f

Perhaps the rest of the phone was in a box under the table.   :o :o

Dooner lists it as c.1899 - 1905 on page 79 of Telephones Antique to Modern.

You found a winner!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

The lady who sold me the transmitter at the flea market told me that the phone to which it went was worth $800 or so, but she didn't have it for sale.

Paul, may I use your pictures in my listing?

Larry

paul-f

While Dooner has an estimate of $1000 - 2000, I think even the $800 guess is quite optimistic -- especially in today's economic environment.

I'll respond regarding the photos in a PM.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

Well, I am quite disappointed.  Although there were 10 watchers on the Deveau transmitter, the auction ended with no bids.  I just relisted it.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Here goes another try at selling this transmitter: ebay link.

Larry