News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Candlestick Problem

Started by Dan, August 08, 2009, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

I definitely think this was the source of the problem all along.  That, coupled with the fact that the second switch is not opening.  We can go into why one switch will do at a later time, but we will be ok if we can just get leaf #1 and #2 to open when the phone is on-hook.  As a practical matter, if #2 and #3 wind up touching, since we are going to do without that second set, we can disconnect it entirely and hard wire around it rather than leaving it wired in-place.  So, the most important thing at this point is to get leaf #1 and #2 to open and close properly and to be insulated from each other at all times.

You might consider going to Radio Shack and picking up an inexpensive analog Volt-Amp-Ohm meter.  The cheapest bottom of the line one they have will do.  I think they are under ten Bucks, and probably more like $7 or $8.  My digital one cost me all of $80 at Radio Shack.  You would be surprised how they come in handy in phone work.  That way we could check the switch as we are getting it back together but still all disassembled, rather than hoping it is all OK, then putting the phone back together and finding out it is still not functioning.

Good night, and good working with you.

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Good night. I will get out Dad's OHM meter and you can show me how to work it tomorrow. I also got switch ! to open from two. I am worried that the little pice of insulation between 3 and 4 will eventually fall out, since it is only held in by friction and not any physical holes or anything. If we could take 3 and 4 somewhat out of the equation llike you said...

Thanks again. This is what this forum is all about.

Any teeth questions chime in......
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

You say it is now all working??

-Bill G

Dan

yes it opens between one and two again
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

Wonderful!  And if #2 and #3 are insulated from each other, we should be in business for re-assembly, and completely done.

What did you do to get it to work?

Also, did you see my comment on getting an inexpensive meter?

Are you planning on bagging it for the night or re-assembling tonight?

-Bill G

Dan

I looked @ my "lateral "picture you suggested of the switch assembly. What time is it where you are @, by the way. It's  1 AM here.

If you look @ the lateral switch pic, you will see space on the left screw assembly side, while the right has less space between the leaves. I just loosened the left a little, tightened the right, and boom all is well.

I will reassemble tomorrow. I want to take Dad's OHM meter to work and check it it has battery leakage, it works or whatever, than if not I'll hit a Radio Shack on the way home.

You can show me how to measure switch current, electrical continuity, and all those other things I don't know

You ARE the MAN Bill

We'll resume tomorrow arounf 8 pm est if this is good w/you  Thanks

Phonesrfun

Thank you for the nice words.  And yes, let's resume it's 10pm here Pacific time, so not nearly so late.  I hope others have had a chance to follow along....Not in detail, because even the two of us have had to work at that  :)  But follow along if nothing else to see what might be involved in stepping through a discovery process.  What I have seen with this is that from the very start, I and others (and perhaps you too) had thought that we were dealing with a stock GPO phone, and the conclusion was that it would never work with the 685 network.  Well, we have learned a lot since then about this particular phone, and how it was changed.  Then we had to do two things.  One was find out what it was supposed to be doing, and then find out why it wasn't.  Wow, what a process.

Years ago, I was a stereo repairman in a HI FI shop  Same sort of things that one has to step through.

I do not envy the guys that have to work on today's cars!

-Bill
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Oh, and one more thing.

On the stack where you loosened up the one end and tightened the other.  If that screw is now loose, it may get looser yet and fall all the way out someday.  You probably need to find something that you can wedge in there so that you can tighten the screw while maintaining the spacing.  Otherwise you will loose the loose screw and only have the one screw holding it all together.

-Bill
-Bill G

Stephen Furley

Well done Bill!

I had a message today from the seller to say that he has posted my 150, and depending on whether the Post is on strike I might get it tomorrow.  When it does come I won't be here to receive it, so I will have to collect it from the depot.  I'm not sure when I can do that,  I'm having to go in to work early this week, and on Saturday I'm going on a course all day, on Blacksmithing.

Dan

Well, Bill, I put it together earlier. The hookswitch works SOMETIMES. When you hold the receiver down TIGHTLY, it is recognized as being hung up. If you hold the receiver to your ear, you hear the popping off and on as you move the hookswitch up and down. When I knew it was hung up correctly, I rang it, the bells didn't work. I  know the leaf stack may need adjusting so that I don't have to push down the receiver quite so hard . Maybe 1 and 2 on the leaves aren't opening all the time. Maybe 3 and 4 should be open? I do have an OHM meter that I will show you. It won't be hard to take it apart again, If I have to.

Phonesrfun

Sounds like the leaves are still at issue.  We should use the ohm meter and try to determine what is happening.  The ringer is a separate issue and is totally outside of the phone housing and within the subset.

I have a little less than an hour before I need to run off to a meeting at 7pm my time (10 yours), and I will be back about 8:30 or so.

Looks like a good digital DVM;  I assume you got a battery for it.  :)

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Thanks, I will take it back apart and  we can look @ the leaves. Since you won't be back until 11:30 PM EST, let's take this up Wednesday night  because I have to get up @ 5:30  Wednesday morning. Let me know when you are available Wed night. Until then take care, Dan

Yes I have a battery for the OHM, we'll resume this on Wed night.

Phonesrfun

Will do, and by the way, congratulations on the success you are having with it!

I think Wed is pretty open for me.

Cheers,

Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Good , it is SO Close, I can't wait to call and say "Sarah , get me Mount Pilot."

Phonesrfun

I love it!  I sure remember those shows.

I still catch them once in a while on cable.

-Bill G