News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Candlestick Problem

Started by Dan, August 08, 2009, 07:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

here's a picture , this is where I got the first set of numbersW-15, NO .1 and 4001 (it is faintly on the picture)

After a closer look, Stephen, I also see near the screw behind the mouthpiece the followingW23, with 235 under this, and under the screw 4029. On the other side above the screw, it says NO.2

I hope this helps. What is the approximate age of this brass beauty?

It would be phone to call across the Atlantic and connect two GPO brothers.

I am currently trying to get the hangup switch fixed, although it dials out great. I also need to get the subset ringing too.

Good luck on yours.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Phonesrfun

Dan:

From post #3 I can almost make out how the ringer is hooked up, but not quite.  There are 4 ringer wires:

Ringer wire hookups on the 425 network:

Black should go to L1
Red to L2
Slate to K
Slate/Red to A

Slate is the fancy official word for a gray colored wire.

Is the black wire on yours taped?  Has it been repaired at one time?

-Bill
-Bill G

Dan

Bill after spending a LOT of time on the switch stack on Thursday, I think I'm going to send it to you as you offered. . Please PM me your address. Please leave the little masking tape stickers on the end of the wires. Your schematic could probably help me get it all back together, but the labels give me a little more comfort ::), since this is complicated to me.

As far as the subset goes,

slate-red  (grey) is indeed on A

black (looks more greyish to me) goes to L1

red is L2

and slate is K

This is exactly as you suggested. The tension spring has been moved in the unlocked position and the lever has been moved to the louder position (gongs further apart).The wall cord has the usual green, yellow and red----yellow on G, green on L1 and red on L2. The black wire off the ringer coil is definately on L1, where it belongs..
Many times on my WE500's I have to move the black off G and on to L1 (Dennis Markham said this was party line ringing position). This ringer is indeed wired correctly, but it isn't ringing yet....

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Stephen Furley

Quote from: Dan on August 12, 2009, 09:26:19 PM
Hi Stephen, Mine flares out like a trumpet. It says W15 with 4001 under this with NO1 to the right of the W-15.Mine is very heavy also, you could probably identify my dial better than I could. It says PAT289244 on the bottom of it. How do you take off the dial card? It is like a WEstern Electric 500 with a metal dial?

Can't wait to see your pics.

Sorry, I missed your question about the dial card.  The card, and it's plastic cover are held in place by a large internal circlip, which fits into a groove inside the dial centre.  The gap in this is at the bottom.  The left-hand end is bent backwards into a hole in the dial, there's usually a small notch at the bottom of the card to take this, similar to the notch on the right side of a WE card.  The other end of the clip is cut at an angle, which allows you to get a small screwdriver blade behind it, and spring the clip out of its groove.  There's then a screw exposed which secures the finger wheel.

Here's a quick shot of my 150 and bellset; the line cord with BT plug is one of the modern reproductions; the other cords are original.

Stephen Furley

Good news, the 150 is now fully working.  Didn't need to dismantle it.  The problem was actually in the bellset.

HobieSport

Quote from: Stephen Furley
Here's a quick shot of my 150 and bellset; the line cord with BT plug is one of the modern reproductions; the other cords are original.

Please excuse me while I drool.
-Matt

Stephen Furley

It cost me quite a lot of money; I shouldn't really have bought it, but it was in nice condition.  I've had to put it on the credit card.  I paid about 130 (pounds) for it, plus the bellset.  I can't remember how much the bellset was, but it wasn't a great deal.  Fully restored candlesticks, with bellset, seem to go for about 400 (pounds); I wouldn't have paid that much.  Dan got a real bargain with his one, even if it does need a bit of work to sort out the switch.

I bought the bellset first, with the intension of just waiting until the right 'phone happened to turn up.  As luck would have it, it turned up just a few weeks later.  I had to recreate one wire in the cord, which had been cut back for some reason.  I've borrowed a digital camera from work; I'll post some pictures of that repair, and of my almost complete 232 restoration tomorrow.  I'll also post one of my first bit of blacksmithing which I've just done today.  I've still got the blister on my thumb from it!

McHeath

Great looking candlestick! 

Phonesrfun

Dan:

Here are some pictures with the fabric cord.  Not very good pictures.

-Bill G

Dan

Looks beautiful Bill, I sent you two PM's. Thanks

Dan

Once I get your repair back, my next step it to "do a little drywall modification"-as I tell my concerned wife.

Anyone have one of these in their home? I need to do a little woodwork restoration on it.I think the GPO hybrid candlestick would look great sitting here.

McHeath

"little drywall modification" = $800 and 32 hours of sweat, tears and profanity.   ;)

Dan

I have never done drywall before, I hope I am not opening up a hornet's nest.

McHeath

It's certainly a doable project, and probably not all that involved if you can just cut out a section to fit the housing into.  You never know what you will find when you have an older house, my walls look like drywall but they are not, it's actual plaster over lathe wire, so cutting a hole is tricky.  You may have to cut some studs as well, but overall it should not be that bad a deal.

(Should)  :)

Dan

Thanks for your second answer, I have more confidence now  :D.