News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lamp Phone Atrocities!

Started by Greg G., May 06, 2009, 12:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GG

Yes, it's painted: look at the chipped paint around the cradle.

I saw a Kellogg 1000 painted light blue that had been similarly tortured.  That a few weeks ago.

What we need to do is basically let these sellers know that they'll earn more for their troubles and cause less trouble for their earnings, if they just leave the phones as-is and post them accordingly. 

Someone from around here will inevitably swoop in and rescue those troubled sets before something terrible happens. 

Greg G.

I contacted the seller and found out that I was the first phone collector to contact him.  Here's the conversation.  The picture being referred to was a before/after of my SC 1216 that I attached to my email to him:

QuoteI take it you've received numerous emails from antique phone collectors. I don't want to add to that, but should you come across another "sad and non-working" phone like this, please keep in mind a similar one that I refurbished. A picture is attached. I think yours is the single-line version of mine, although I'm not sure.

QuoteHello,
No emails but yours at this point, but I did find the link to my creation on ClassicRotary... I expect that there will be phone people pecking away for the next who knows how long. lol I put the note on the listing to head them off.

You did a fine job on the resto. Wow! Is the phone in use or just a working historical artifact?

I find phones all the time in my searches of junk shops, thrift stores, garage sales, etc. I rarely research them. When I amend them for lights, I try to leave as much of it untouched as possible. This particular phone could be "brought back to life" by the right person.

Just today I found another phone. 1937. Oak box with generator that rings two bells. There is a desk phone (black) that is attached by a cord and there are two smaller wires coming from the box that look like they are electrical. I have it in my studio, not certain what will be done with it down the road. Any expert thoughts on it? Would it be sacrilege to alter it? :)

Thanks for the kind email.
Rodger

QuoteHi Rodger

I don't want to use the word "sacrilege", but it's a bad idea to alter any antique phone into something it wasn't meant to be. The phone you turned into a lamp, even though you preserved as much as possible, could have fetched you two or three times as much with a little effort to clean it up, e.g. the phone appears to have been painted by a previous owner. Removing the paint and repainting it the original color would have made it a very collectible piece, even if you couldn't vouch for it's functionality. Heck, even as is (or was), it was a very collectible piece.

These phones were made to last. I found a 70yo phone at a yard sale and even though it was rusted and corroded inside, when I hooked it up I got a dial tone and was able to dial out and receive calls, it fully functioned, I just cleaned it up. Here's a link to my thread on it: www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3039.0

Chances are your phone could easily be made to function also. I've been collecting phones for almost 3 years. I have no knowledge of electronics, but the vast majority of the non-functioning vintage phones I find can be made to function using just a screwdriver and moving a wire or two.

As for the phone in the picture I sent you, right now it's non-functioning, but only because I need help in interpreting the schematics in order to make it function as a single-line phone. Yours was made by the same manufacturer, Stromberg-Carlson.

Before you alter any more phones, I would like to invite you to use Classic Rotary Phone Forum as a source for researching the phones you find. It's a very friendly group and I've gained a lot of knowledge from it, I'm sure you will too.

Greg
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

GG

Wow, that's major progress.  Ten points, dude, you did well.

OK, so now we need to anticipate a possible influx of new folks who we can help cure of the desire to turn phones into lamps (or lumps, per the strangely-entombed 564 elsewhere).  But I think the usual good manners and helpfulness around here will go a long way. 

rtp129495

http://tinyurl.com/3lamqgd

YUCK!!! but the interesting part is the phone and lamp both work, unusual..... usually its just the lamp that works!

GG

Someone here has reported successful results by patiently explaining to a seller, that their old phone will probably get them a better price if they just clean it up and sell it as-is rather than lobotomizing it into a lamp. 

So taking the gentle approach first, is recommended.  But for recalcitrant lamp makers, a stronger approach may be helpful. 

BTW, a phone/lamp that works as both, is probably an electrical hazard since it has both low-voltage telephone wiring and high-voltage AC mains wiring in the same device.  And in general, one way to discourage lamp conversions is to point to the fact that they are probably not safe, and are a potential liability risk to the seller. 

ESS

This is my first post...

A long time ago, I converted this phone.... to a usable Lamp.
Just wondering your opinions if this is sacrilege? Based on this forum. I have another one still original, and an old desk phone (no dial)
Was wondering can anyone tell me what phone I converted...age, type etc?

If I blew it...you can tell me like it is...
Thanks!
Ed

Doug Rose

Show a picture of how you connected the bulb on the back. If it is revereable it is not sacrilege, just a momentary lapse of reasoning. If you drilled the metal........Welcome to the Forum...Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 20, 2011, 09:53:21 AM
Show a picture of how you connected the bulb on the back. If it is reverseable it is not sacrilege, just a momentary lapse of reasoning. If you drilled the metal........Welcome to the Forum...Doug
My, Doug... You didn't tell us you were a diplomat  :) Well put.

Honestly, though, during the 50s to 70s, many a valuable phone was destroyed by conversion to lamps, and that is why converting will make collectors shudder.

However as Doug says if it is done without destroying the integrity of the phone via brackets held by existing bolts, and the phone can be reverted eventually to its original state, it is ok, I guess ;D  

Some past conversions used the switch of the candlestick  to switch the 120 volts - not a good idea. If it doesn't destroy the switch as it isn't designed for that voltage and current, it is at very least a serious shock hazard. Better to use an properly insulated and voltage rated external in-line switch and keep the cord free from the phone itself. An option would be to use a socket with a built-in switch. This would be my greatest concern.

Just make sure it doesn't destroy a rare telephone. One has to think that the phone might not always be in your family, so a thoughtful conversion if necessary is your best bet.

Don't get frustrated! It does look nice.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

Ed,

We have all done things in the past which we would prefer to have not done.

The phone looks mostly like an Automatic Electric AE21 (http://www.telephonearchive.com/phones/ae/ae21_stick.html), but I am not sure about the transmitter.  It may have been replaced.  Pictures of other sides might be helpful for identification.

Those phones are generally worth much more as phones than lamps.  As Doug said, if the conversion can be reversed, it is worthwhile doing so.

I am sure that we would all like to see pictures of your other phones.

Larry

paul-f

Welcome, Ed.

Your conversion appears to be more tastefully done than many we've seen...
   http://www.paul-f.com/Lamps.html

More detailed photos of the back, bottom and receiver parts may be needed to tell exactly what you've got.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ESS

Thank you all for your comments and input!

As for messing up... sounds like we did. A hole was drilled in the top to insert the metal pole for the lamp portion. Inside where the receiver hangs from we installed an insulated pressure switch, so when you pick up the receiver the light goes on, hang up the phone and the light goes off.
To return to original state would only require removing the electrical wires, but would need to replace the curved piece at the top of the phone.

I will try and get pictures of the other phones, one looks similar to this one, but at the mouthpiece end it is sliver in color with "Kellogg" stamped on the face at the top, and at the bottom is stamped:  818577L, no markings on the bottom, just one screw.
The other is a desk model, I will have to dig out of box it's in.
Thanks again for the input!

Ed

TelePlay

Paul,

Here's another for your photo collection. Not well done and asking $69.95.

http://tinyurl.com/6vrxm9y

Lamp stem looks too high/long and the shade is too small. Base was drilled.

I don't see a power cord.

Not much lost here since it states it is a painted painted blue modular 500.

Bill

ESS -

Oh good Lord. I would take a stab at restoring it. If you decide you want to sell it, let me know. You can even keep the shade!

Bill

Jester

This one showed up a few listings after the aqua phone in teleplay's post.  It seems impractical as a lamp, & that handset isn't all that common.
Stephen

Doug Rose

Quote from: ESS on November 20, 2011, 12:56:04 PM
Thank you all for your comments and input!

As for messing up... sounds like we did. A hole was drilled in the top to insert the metal pole for the lamp portion. Inside where the receiver hangs from we installed an insulated pressure switch, so when you pick up the receiver the light goes on, hang up the phone and the light goes off.
To return to original state would only require removing the electrical wires, but would need to replace the curved piece at the top of the phone.

I will try and get pictures of the other phones, one looks similar to this one, but at the mouthpiece end it is sliver in color with "Kellogg" stamped on the face at the top, and at the bottom is stamped:  818577L, no markings on the bottom, just one screw.
The other is a desk model, I will have to dig out of box it's in.
Thanks again for the input!

Ed
Ed...if the metal has been drilled, sad to say, it should remain a lamp...good luck....Doug
Kidphone