News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How do you restore color to a Bakelite receiver?

Started by Sargeguy, March 17, 2011, 10:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have a few, including an OST/Pony that have turned puke green,  IS there a method of reversing this?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

ESalter

I have one that turned a nasty brown color, I cleaned it as well as I could then polished it with black shoe polish.  Helped quite a bit but it still isn't what I'd like.  I'm curious to know if anyone has any tricks for this as well.

---Eric

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

cihensley@aol.com

Don't paint them. They are hard rubber, not bakelite. The discoloration can be removed by fine sandpaper, preferably micro-mesh. Then polish. If you are diligent at it you can make them almost look new.

Chuck

Sargeguy

I have a set of Micro-Mesh sanding pads.  What grit do you start with?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

RDP

Sarge, Like with any abrasive, it would matter how bad the surface is as to what you start with. If it's like the ones I have seen I'd start with something close to a 600 grit and work up to a 2000. You can start at 800 and see if it makes a difference and if not drop down 2 grits. Just my 2 cents.

Netdewt

I have a 302 receiver I want to restore. The original color was black, and not it's brownish and unevenly colored. I sanded some with 600 and 2000, but it doesn't really improve much. The surface is perfectly smooth, but the color is not back. Should I try polishing? I just don't see that helping the discoloration issue. Ideas?

cihensley@aol.com

Spray it with Dy-Kem black marking ink. This idea sprang from a posting by Dan/Panther about three years ago on restoring a pink cord. After it is dry, follow with several coats of a good wax. you might also consider clear coating instead of wax.

Chuck

DavePEI

Quote from: Netdewt on March 07, 2012, 07:50:04 AM
I have a 302 receiver I want to restore. The original color was black, and not it's brownish and unevenly colored. I sanded some with 600 and 2000, but it doesn't really improve much. The surface is perfectly smooth, but the color is not back. Should I try polishing? I just don't see that helping the discoloration issue. Ideas?

I hate to suggest this, but it does work on badly pitted and discoloured handsets. I only use it if the handset is beyond repair otherwise. Black Shoe Polish (Not liquid) Put on several coats, wait for it to dry, then buff the excess off. Redo when necessary.

Speaking of handsets and shoe polish, at work, we used to have a supervisor who would fall asleep at his desk. Someone would sneak in, put some shoe polish on the earpiece of his phone, and before it could dry, call him from another phone in the plant. He would be startled awake, answer the phone, and go around for the rest of the night with a black ear. No-one would tell him.

So, the lesson is, let it dry then buff it off before someone uses it!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

LarryInMichigan

I have used a plastic brush with my rotary tool to spread the wax shoe polish with good results.  The polish is spread very thinly, and the brush pushes it into the pores in the surface of the bakelite.  I also use very dried out shoe polish.  It has the consistency of a hard crayon.

Larry

Bill

Quote from: NetdewtI have a 302 receiver I want to restore. The original color was black, and not it's brownish and unevenly colored. I sanded some with 600 and 2000, but it doesn't really improve much. The surface is perfectly smooth, but the color is not back. Should I try polishing?
I have done a couple E-1 handsets with Micro Mesh. It worked very well, but I found that I had to work my way up through all the grits to get a glossy surface. As you noted, the phones felt smooth as a baby's butt after 2000 grit, but there was absolutely no gloss until I hit 8,000 grit. That was pretty discouraging, since I was expecting some gloss at around 2,000. But I think that result is expected. Finishing off with 12,000 gives a nice finish.

After the 12,000 grit, the gloss was wonderful, but again as you noted, the color was poor. Kind of brown and splotchy. That is the problem with sanding Bakelite - you lose the surface layer and get into the underlayer, which isn't so pretty. Black shoe polish (the waxy kind, not the daub-on liquid) went a long way to fixing this. I had to use a soft buffing cloth to get the shine back, just as I do on shoes.

Hand-sanding with Micro Mesh was a lot of effort. For me it was a learning experience, but it is not something I want to do often for a phone. Yesterday I bought a Black and Decker detail sander, the one with the triangle point in front. I'm going to try it out with Micromesh on another E-1, hoping to reduce some of the labor involved. I'm not sure how well it will handle the various curves on a handset, but the foam backer block ought to help. That is part of the learning.

A word of warning. With hand sanding, it is easy to sand down the molded "Western Electric" label on the underside of the handset. I'm hoping the detail sander will make it easier to avoid that.

Dennis and Chuck were helpful to me as I went through this learning process, mostly by keeping me from getting too discouraged. Thanks, guys. I'll post something about the detail sander when I have some results.

Bill

Dennis Markham

I avoid sanding Bakelite with the exception of the brown crud that seems to form on the mouthpiece caps.  I have heard, or read that there is a very thin layer that makes up the outside shell of the Bakelite and that if sanded it could ruin the piece if one goes too deep with the sanding.

I still get my best results with Novus2 and LOTS of hand cleaning followed by more cleaning with the Ryobi.  But it all boils down to whatever works best for the individual.  It takes a little practice and trying different methods.

Doug Rose

I have NEVER had an issue with medium to fine steel wool on bakelite. NEVER!!  Never lost the shine. Takes out minor dings and blend it bigger dings and scratches. In my opinion, fine steel wool increases the shine of bakelite

I have bought this up before and been told it doesn't work. I'm not quite sure what I do that other do not,  but I have been going it over 30 years.

BUT... I did see my skin so soft got some life in last week's posts of shining plastics. Works great on bakelite, but as I promised before, I would not go there....Doug
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: cihensley@aol.com on March 18, 2011, 12:15:56 AM
Don't paint them. They are hard rubber, not bakelite. The discoloration can be removed by fine sandpaper, preferably micro-mesh. Then polish. If you are diligent at it you can make them almost look new.

Chuck

Hmm, this is another tool I hadn't heard of.  Up until now the finest sanding material I've been using is automotive sandpaper.  Would micro-mesh work on plastic also?

QuoteMicro-Meshâ„¢ Cushioned Abrasives
http://www.ptreeusa.com/microMesh.htm

Micro-Mesh is a unique cushioned abrasive capable of giving very fine and very controlled scratch patterns. The grits range from 1500 to 12000. The 1500 is slightly coarser than a conventional 600 sandpaper, and the 12000 will leave scratch patterns that cannot be detected by the human eye. Micro-mesh abrasives can polish to an optically clear, reflective state or, through the use of a coarser grit, leave a matte or satin finish. Micro-mesh is an excellent product to use as a final rub for water-based finishes. Polish out your finish beginning with 2400 Micro-mesh and continue through the series until the desired gloss is achieved.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Telephone Mike

I'm reposting this from another forum to see if anyone here can help.

I found a can of Design Master triple thick Master Shine super gloss finish #354 and tested it on a bakelite cap off a Galion H270 wall phone.  I scrubbed the cap with a sos pad to remove any grime or polish and gave it a couple of coats of the 354.  Looks great as you can see in comparison. Has anyone tried this or anything like it?  Am restoring a "jukebox" AE 50 wall phone and thinking about using it to restore the shine but don't want to ruin this very collectable phone that is in otherwise great shape.  The dull cap is from the 50.

I saw in a previous post a mention of clear coating.  This would be similar.