News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Polishing bakelite.

Started by trainman, April 29, 2011, 10:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axil

Thx for the info guys..i'm sure glad i found this forum. I have a lot of phones sitting oh does anyone have any special ways of removing nicotine? Specificallly from plastic?

phoneaddict

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 30, 2011, 08:57:07 PM
Bakelite is very resilient and reacts well to fine steel wool. Steel wool removes the layers of age, dullness, grime and dirt. When finished with the steel wool, the bakelite will have a shine. It has a glow the the friction causes, almost a depth to it. Below are the before and after of my Mahogany North and Green North. Avon SSS bath oil is the finishing touch. ....Doug

Doug -
Have you ever used an automobile's headlight lens repair kit to polish Bakelite?
Have you ever used PBC (plastic buffing compound) on Bakelite?
Thank you in advance for your reply !
Gerald

Doug Rose

Hey Gerald....I have some lens repair that didn't do real well on my headlights so I never tried it. I have never buffed bakelite as my fine steel wool and Avon SOS works fine for me. Others disagree, but ot me it is the best ting for bakelite....welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

phoneaddict

Quote from: Doug Rose on July 22, 2013, 06:19:07 PM
Hey Gerald....I have some lens repair that didn't do real well on my headlights so I never tried it. I have never buffed bakelite as my fine steel wool and Avon SOS works fine for me. Others disagree, but ot me it is the best ting for bakelite....welcome to the Forum....Doug
Doug -
Thank you for your email, you saved me the time and cost on the lens repair
kit !!!
I have purchased the steel wool, Bondo and Avon SOS and am going to try it on my first project starting tomorrow.
Thanks Again !
Gerald

phone-sweep

PBC?  You can get some here:

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Buffing_Accessories

I usually buy the 2.5 lb econo bar @ $9.  You will need, of course, a buffer and 6" or 8" cotton buffing wheels on the same page if you don't have them already.  Buffer, I believe, can be found at other venues for cheaper.  But keep it the same model....

By far the fastest, least elbow grease way to get it done once you get past the initial investment...

AE_Collector

Hey thanks for chiming in Barry.

Don't be a stranger here!

Terry

phoneaddict

Quote from: phone-sweep on July 23, 2013, 10:13:05 PM
PBC?  You can get some here:

http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Buffing_Accessories

I usually buy the 2.5 lb econo bar @ $9.  You will need, of course, a buffer and 6" or 8" cotton buffing wheels on the same page if you don't have them already.  Buffer, I believe, can be found at other venues for cheaper.  But keep it the same model....

By far the fastest, least elbow grease way to get it done once you get past the initial investment...
Thank you so much for your help !!! It's GREAT to have a place to get and give information !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Mc

I have a cracked F1 handset that I used to test mineral oil instead of Skin So Soft.  I gave it a wipe-down with mineral oil and let it sit.  After a few days the bakelite is noticeably darker and has more sheen.  It's not oily and dry to the touch, so it might absorb another coat or two.  The dry area is where I had placed a strip of masking tape on the original finish.  There's no perfume scent and it seems to have the same effect on Bakelite.  I'm trying it on another handset and caps now.

WesternElectricBen

Wow, that looks amazing! I definitely need to try that, I like how it richens the black. Writhing a note right now to buy some mineral oil.

Ben

Tim Mc

Thanks Ben...I do have some SSS, but thought I might try mineral oil for those of us that don't have an Avon rep.  Now I can save the SSS to use as mosquito repellent.  ;)