News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 354

Started by bushman, December 03, 2013, 08:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

So I have the whole house wired for the 616 and have been letting the wife pick out phones for the different areas. She chose a 354 for the kitchen. I opened up the one I had and it was full of silt. Almost like it was in a flood. It isn't all rusted out so I thought I would try to get it up and running. All the dates are 1950 and it is marked h-3. The handset cord is missing insulation on the wires in the housing, so I am assuming I will need a new one. The dial is a 6A, still turns but is a little sticky.  Any advice on the best way to clean the internal components of this phone.And if somethings turn out to be too bad are the 302 components interchangeable?

Thank you
Bushman

poplar1

Many of the parts--dial, handset, capacitor--are the same. Technically, the 354 is closer to a 304 since they share the same B2A ringer and 101B induction coil, but you can certainly use the B1-type ringer and 101A induction coil from a 302 if necessary along with the dial, handset and capacitor. Hopefully you can salvage at least one pair of contacts on the switch hook of the 354.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

bushman

Believe it or not the contacts actually look pretty good. Where is a good place to obtain a handset cord?

Thanks again
Bushman

Sargeguy

Have you tested it yet?  It might just work as is.  My last one was shiny on the outside and an adobe brick on the inside but still worked fine.  I would remove as much sediment as possible manually then use contact cleaner and a toothbrush to clean every thing.  Keep the housing on the base when not working on it as these tend to warp and can be hard to put back on after being left off for a while.  DO NOT use hot water to clean the housing.  

I can set you up with a cord.  It's a replacement cord used on 302 types, not quite as thick as an original but good for a "daily driver".  PM your address if you'd like one.

The 352 (Northern Electric) or 252 (no ringer)use the same electrical components as a 302.  
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Bill

This may be heresy, but if the thing has already been under water to the point where it is full of silt, I would see no problem with simply hosing it out with the sprayer in your kitchen sink faucet. Dry thoroughly in the sun or on a heating grate in your house before testing.

Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

I love 354s, but I hate removing the shells. I wish WE made the hinges less complicated :-\
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

You are not supposed to be removing the shells from Bell System Property >:(
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

But...but...but...I made it look so beautiful for them!!! :'( Some phone company they are, not letting me remove a stupid cover off of one of their stupid phones...Jerks... ;D
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Do you have any photos of it before, during and after cleaning, especially before?