"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Left handed telephone

Started by benhutcherson, February 19, 2009, 06:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Quote from: AtomicEraTom on February 20, 2009, 02:14:53 AM
I'm a lefty and mine works just fine for me.  With the one in my room, I usually hold the receiver in my left, dial with the right, then sit down on the bed, with te reciever to my left ear and the phone sitting on my right knee.  I'd really like to know how the left-handed ones are different.  Really never gave it any thought before.

Hey, all my phones are left handed!!!!
I'm a righty myself, but, go hand to hand when my arms get tired. Sometimes, I hang up the phone in the opposite direction.
I dial with my right hand.
Yet, my good eye,and, my good leg are on the left side.
And, that leg has been broken.
My right leg has most of the problems.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

JimH

Now a truly left-handed telephone would have the dial reversed, too, wouldn't it?  Counter-clockwise with the "1" on the upper left?  BTW, I'm a lefty, too  ;)
Jim H.

BDM

Quote from: JimH on February 20, 2009, 01:04:29 PM
Now a truly left-handed telephone would have the dial reversed, too, wouldn't it?  Counter-clockwise with the "1" on the upper left?  BTW, I'm a lefty, too  ;)

No no no! The dial would be inside out, and upside down ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

Over,under,sideways down? when will it end?
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 20, 2009, 08:48:11 AM
Bingster, that's a great looking left handed telephone.  I especially like your dial card.

Quote from: BDM on February 20, 2009, 12:35:38 PM
Darrin, very nice looking D mount. The paint looks original and in nice condition. Love that dial card also. I'll make a deal with you. I'll trade ya for a case of Old Bay potato chips

Thanks, guys.  The dial card is a fake that I made many moons ago to imitate the only dial card I had back then (the one below), which was from a local independent telephone company in Virginia. It came from a North Galion with a WE #6 dial installed in it.  I had never seen another dial card in person, so I had no idea what a "real" one looked like.

That 202 is my favorite phone.  I lucked out and got a nearly perfect one on ebay.  After a good scrubbing, the only flaw was very minor paint loss on the cradle ears.  It gets constant use, and is mated to a 684.

Brian, you have no idea how tempting your offer is.  I'd knock my mother down for a bag of Old Bay potato chips. ;D
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Bingster, you made that care?!  It looks very authentic, even with water marks and misaligned numbers.  It really looks nice.

bingster

Not the Tidewater card, no.  That's the original one.  The Chesapeake and Potomac card on the 202 is the one I made. 
= DARRIN =

Dan/Panther

Speaking of left handed.....
The Famous outlaw "Billy The Kid" for years was known as the left handed gun, based on the below photo.
It wasn't discovered until recently, that the photo shows the loading door for the Henry rifle, on the left side of the rifle, it is actually on the right side of the frame. which meant the photo negative had been printed backwards, and Billy was right handed after all.
So this makes me conclude that the left handed phone was simply a reversed photo. ::) ::) ::)
D/P 

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Bing, those chips are to die for!! Of course, you eat enough of them, you will die from all that sodium :-\
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Steve

Bingster, I just noticed you are a Son of the Old Dominion. I lived there for a couple years myself. lived a bit as a pioneer on the high street in Petersburg, before moving to Colonial Heights. coming from Chicago, I realize the meaning of "Gods Country" now.
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,

bingster

I live in Virginia, but I'm a Marylander born and bred.  You're right though, there's a lot of stunningly beautiful country in the state. 
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Well folks no reply yet on what makes this 500 "left handed", I'm beginning to think we will never know.

Sadness creeping in, must hold on.... :'(

AET

Love the Dial Card.  I know when my dad was a kid, their number was HOpkins something, and I beleive his grandma's was UPtown-6-5636.  Wish they still used the alphanumeric system, eh?
- Tom