News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What is it?

Started by poplar1, September 18, 2013, 01:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

This just sold for $910--did it start out as a WE #22?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121174230530
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Gilas

I was watching that too wondering and wondered what the deal was.  Tried looking it up to see more about it but couldn't find a match.

Mike

Sargeguy

The Lambert Schmidt base is a red herring, what really drove up the value was the extremely rare mouthpiece and receiver!
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AE_Collector

I thought it was likely the Avocado Green handset cord that someone needed for a restoration project.

Terry

Sargeguy

It is a little known fact that Lambert Schmidt introduced coiled vinyl handset cords back in 1902.  He was a man ahead of his time.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

The base looks tall, more like on a #10.  As this one:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=8918.0

There is also a thread somewhere about #22 or20-B sets where Sargeguy stated that WE sold them to independents without perch markings.

This has a SC transmitter and cup, and homemade wood receiver and wood snuff catcher.

I'd still like to know why it went for $900.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I thought #10s had rounded edges, but I guess not.  It does look like Schmidt used WE bases since the lower part of his phone is identical to a WE #10.  It just may be an early Frankenphone after all, at least the base and shaft combination.    I can easily see someone buying a load of outdated Bell Telephones that included both 22s and 10s and mixing and matching the parts.  Keep in mind that it didn't necessarily have to be an independent phone company, electrical contractors were in the business of installing intercom and PBX systems, and were probably more likely to do this sort of thing.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409