News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

78% font bug?

Started by Greg G., February 28, 2015, 02:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I sometimes get this when I'm posting or editing a post.  Only way to get rid of it is to post it, then go back and edit it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

WesternElectricBen

Yes, I have a similar problem with spacing and it is very annoying. If you adjust the font every time to 10pt the spacing returns to normal. Although, I wish there were a better way to fix this.

Ben

DavePEI

Are you guys typing your posts directly into the Forum editor, or are you pre-typing your post, then copying and pasting it into the editor?

The reason I ask, is I never have this problem, and always use the on site editor.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

WesternElectricBen

Dave, I type in my comment on the forum without any 3rd party application.

Ben

TelePlay

Quote from: DavePEI on February 28, 2015, 12:05:12 PM
Are you guys typing your posts directly into the Forum editor, or are you pre-typing your post, then copying and pasting it into the editor?

I just tried that, creating the following in MS Word using 160pt font size, copying it into this reply and it pastes in at the normal forum text editor font.

"This is 160pt font created in MS Word and copied into this reply."

I've never seen that "78%" message, ever, but, then, I don't have a smart phone so maybe the issue is that. Does anyone get the 78% message using a laptop or desk top? And, what are you using when you get the 78% code?

DavePEI

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on February 28, 2015, 01:00:25 PM
Dave, I type in my comment on the forum without any 3rd party application.

Ben
Ok, in the past, I have seen some type up their reply in a word processor and the font in the processor gets applied to the message, however, not correctly. I was wondering if that might have been the problem. As John says, what equipment are you using to post?

I have never had this happen...

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

NorthernElectric

If you're using the wysiwyg editor try the standard editor or vice versa.  Go to Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout and set the check mark beside 'Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.' off or on, as the case may be.  Keep in mind that if you are using the wysiwyg, you don't see your bbcode tags (the stuff i the square brackets) as you type but in the standard editor you see them and you need to click on preview to see what the post will look like (up above the edit box).  Just a suggestion.

PS.  the example you showed contains bbcode tags to change the font size, but the 78% parameter is wrong which is why the forum displays it.  Size tags should be in the be in point sizes not percentages, like this: [size=16pt].
Cliff

TelePlay

Quote from: NorthernElectric on February 28, 2015, 01:38:04 PM
If you're using the wysiwyg editor try the standard editor or vice versa.  Go to Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout and set the check mark beside 'Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default.' off or on, as the case may be.

Good point. My WYSIWYG box is "NOT" checked and I've never had a problem, or seen, the 78% comment, which your are right in saying it is wrong by itself in that size is always a number, not a %:  [s ize=24pt]   space added in size to deactivate the html code

WesternElectricBen

Test Post with WYSIWYG off. Edit: That seemed to do the trick.

Ben

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on February 28, 2015, 12:05:12 PM

The reason I ask, is I never have this problem, and always use the on site editor.

Dave

I post directly.  Anything I post that was copied offsite I paste as "plain text", but I rarely do that.  I've also noticed the double spacing that was mentioned.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: TelePlay on February 28, 2015, 01:00:51 PM

I've never seen that "78%" message, ever, but, then, I don't have a smart phone so maybe the issue is that. Does anyone get the 78% message using a laptop or desk top? And, what are you using when you get the 78% code?

Desktop.  I rarely post anything using a "smart" phone.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

PS.  the example you showed contains bbcode tags to change the font size, but the 78% parameter is wrong which is why the forum displays it.  Size tags should be in the be in point sizes not percentages, like this: [size=16pt].
This is what is confusing me. The "%" thing. It should never show up as that - BB code ends up as a number and not as a percentage. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this eventually.

It isn't that we don't want to help - its just that so far, we don't have the answers..

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on February 28, 2015, 07:20:42 PM
This is what is confusing me. The "%" thing. It should never show up as that - BB code ends up as a number and not as a percentage. Hopefully we will get to the bottom of this eventually.

It isn't that we don't want to help - its just that so far, we don't have the answers..

Dave

I unchecked the WYSIWYG option to see if that will work.  The actual 78% code that you see in the capture doesn't show until I go back to edit it.  What I see at first is the tiny font it creates.  I have to post it like that, then go in and modify it, that's when that coding shows and I take it out.  I hope it's not malware of some sort on my computer, I've ran all the anti-malwares I have when it first started showing up, they detected nothing.
- Mike Row
e

NorthernElectric

Quote from: Brinybay on February 28, 2015, 07:29:45 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on February 28, 2015, 07:20:42 PM

Dave

I unchecked the WYSIWYG option to see if that will work.  The actual 78% code that you see in the capture doesn't show until I go back to edit it.  What I see at first is the tiny font it creates.  I have to post it like that, then go in and modify it, that's when that coding shows and I take it out.  I hope it's not malware of some sort on my computer, I've ran all the anti-malwares I have when it first started showing up, they detected nothing.

I found this forum post on the Simple Machines web site (developers of the forum software) talking about bugs in the WYSIWYG editor which resulted in double spacing.  One of the posters posted a code snippet which contained the size=78% tag as well, and that somehow occurred when he added a URL.  It was suggested that the bug might only manifest itself in Chrome and Safari, but if you have experienced it in IE as well, maybe that's not so.  I guess the consensus there was that if the WYSIWYG editor gives you trouble, don't use it.  I use FireFox and have been unable to duplicate your problem.
Cliff

DavePEI

Ok, that sounds like that may be it. Good find, Cliff! I had never thought of it perhaps being a browser based problem, since I use Firefox and therefore don't get it!

Are you guys using another browser aside from Firefox and IE?

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001