"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Do Any Of You Collect Typewriters?

Started by foots, June 06, 2009, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Quote from: AE_collector on October 08, 2012, 10:39:13 PM
I have seen BM Selectric's for a few dollars at Thrift Stores etc.

I had one for years but it was starting to act up a bit and figured I could use the space for other things so I dropped it into our scrap metal bin at work a year or two ago.

Terry

Yeah, I saw a few yesterday when I was out thrift-crawling, but they were big, hunkin' electric industrial business machines, not very appealing.  I'm wanting a manual one more on the antique side.  I'm leaning towards the third link.  I was going to splurge and go for the last one, the fully restored Royal, but the seller is an hour drive away.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Sargeguy

I think around $40 is the going rate for an antique steeln typewriter in working condition.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Greg G.

Got this from ebay, plus I arranged for local pickup.  The seller happens to pass by my place on his way to work and just dropped it off.  Haven't taken a good look yet because I have to leave, so I'll post more pics later, but it appears to be in near-mint condition.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

deedubya3800

I just picked up this 1961 Smith Corona Galaxie at a yard sale four weeks ago for $10. Aside from a small chip in one of the carriage release levers and the usual scratching around the case tab slot, it's perfect! It even has a new black and red ribbon installed!

WesternElectricBen

I have a couple Royals. Though they are too big and expensive. Phone collecting (to me) is more fun!
Ben

southernphoneman

I don t think that this typewriter is as vintage as others but here it is anyway.this was given to me by my grandmother when I graduated from 8th grade in 1978 and was still in use up until last year when a computer first entered my household. I am by no means a collector,just a phone collector, but I felt like posting it anyway.

LarryInMichigan

My neighbor's son has a Burroughs (c. 1930s) that he got from a friend who didn't want it, and he wants me to sell it for him.

Larry

southernphoneman

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on April 14, 2013, 02:10:59 PM
My neighbor's son has a Burroughs (c. 1930s) that he got from a friend who didn't want it, and he wants me to sell it for him.

Larry

:)THAT TYPEWRITER IS COOL ;)

southernphoneman

Quote from: deedubya3800 on November 04, 2012, 10:29:05 PM
I just picked up this 1961 Smith Corona Galaxie at a yard sale four weeks ago for $10. Aside from a small chip in one of the carriage release levers and the usual scratching around the case tab slot, it's perfect! It even has a new black and red ribbon installed!
your typewriter looks very similar to mine (posted below). I like the color of yours.

Pvt-telco

Here is my Smith Corona Eighty Eight it works also.

19and41

Can you still get ribbons and other supplies for them?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pvt-telco

Quote from: 19and41 on April 19, 2017, 02:33:51 PM
Can you still get ribbons and other supplies for them?

Yes you can a lot on eBay

L-20

Though I don't have a collection (yet) I did pick up a nice Galaxie a while ago. I replaced the drawstring and fed it some new ribbon and it works great! It even came with what I believe is the original manual, which was extremely helpful since I'd never touched a typewriter before then.