News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Vintage-Motorola-DynaTAC-8000X-Brick-Cell-Phone $7500.

Started by Doug Rose, February 29, 2020, 07:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

WOW! That must be one happy seller. Started it at $14.99. Sniped at last second after a bidding war between 2 people. Incredible! I have to be on the lookout for these useless Bricks! I recall seeing them in thrift shops for a buck!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

phonium

I used to collect cell phones, never got any super rare ones though. Did get one like this but later revision for a dollar.
George Amores
ATCA#4857

Jim Stettler

That looks like the thin brick, There was a Fat brick before that one. When my oldest was born in 1994 my wife called me on my work cell which was a fat brick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Years ago I asked about telephones at a  yard sell.
The guy went and got brick cell in box with a  charger and batteries from Hawaii . It had a deluxe case a.
It was a very lightly used fat brick with.
He said he seldom used it due to air time cost, it had been so expensive he kept it.
I thought it was cool so he gave it to me. The batteries would still take a charge and it powers up,
It was still working when analog service went away.

When the oldest got her 1st cell around 9th grade. I pulled out the fat brick to show her and her friends cell technology from when they were born.

i still have the phone packed away somewhere.
Jim
BTW: The guys neighbor also had a yard sale. I got an embroidered cover for a Delft for $2.00 It was a fun telephone day.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

twocvbloke

Quite a pricey auction there, someone REALLY wanted that one!!!  :o

Jim Stettler

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 29, 2020, 10:53:22 AM
Quite a pricey auction there, someone REALLY wanted that one!!!  :o
At least 3 folks.
Third place bidder was at $6,000.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

TelePlay

Looking at the bidding, the bidder with the highest feedback score (1755) quit bidding at $1,050. The next highest feedback score bidder (914) stopped at $115. The third highest (822) walked away at $900.

Almost all of the other bidders had feedback scores under 75. The winning bidder' score is 15. That bidder really wanted that phone for some reason to pay $7,500

This phone is being shipped from Chicago, Illinois, the world headquarters for Motorola during their time period of car/bag/brick/flip/Tac cell phone production. Might have historic value to someone or for some reason known only to the buyer.

The following is posted so that anyone finding this topic in a search years from now will see the description and listing images not provided above.

Seller's description:  Vintage Motorola DynaTAC 8000X Brick Cell Phone -- Included rechargeable batteries have corrosion on their terminals and are no longer good. Phone was tested with an external power supply and powers on, display is working. Pressing the number buttons often results in multiple digits. There is some corrosion on the phone's battery contacts. - Includes short antenna. Does not include charger or other accessories. Model F09DTD8824AK. -- Phone has some scratches, marks, and dirt. There is a crack on the bottom.

loblolly986

That's a DynaTAC 8000X which was the first handheld cell phone model in production. These typically attract crazy money due to the fame over being the "first mobile phone", even though they aren't that seldom seen up for sale. (And I wonder how many bubbles would be burst if they realized these were only the first handheld phones, with Motorola debuting AMPS car phone models about the same time, not to mention things like the NMT system in Europe which was operational a few years earlier with its own "luggable" phones.) There are similar slightly later models that can be had for far cheaper (but still nothing to sneeze at), and things like the early car phone models which are probably much less common (especially if complete with the large three watt transceiver unit).

This is the original size of these phones; the battery pack can affect the "thickness". There were early-'90s "Pulsar" models that Motorola sold under the "Modar Communications" name that were extra thick, however: http://www.mobilecollectors.net/phonelist/modar%2B%2528motorola%2529