News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modular Adapters and 4 Prong Plugs/Jacks for Spade Cords

Started by ntophones, November 23, 2009, 01:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ntophones

Well, I just won a wonderful looking phone on Ebay.
But, it has a 4 prong adapter on the end. I was looking at Phoneco, and they seem to have 2 adapters:
http://www.phonecoinc.com/category.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&group=misc&gorl=group&category=Acc
the 318a or 318b. Which do you think?
Thanks.
--nto

Phonesrfun

Either one should work.  Being the cheap guy that I am, I'd order a couple of the $6.00 ones instead of a $10.00 version.
-Bill G

ntophones

Thanks! I was thinking the same thing.  ;D I wonder what the difference could be?
--nto

Jim Mc

I'm using a jack similar to this for the hard wired phones.  http://tiny.cc/Mppzt I hard wired my phone into this jack, then I just use a modular connector from this jack to the wall jack.  These are going for $3-4 at Home Depot.  I guess if you wanted to keep the 4 prong plug it wouldn't work.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: ntophones on November 23, 2009, 02:35:54 PM
Thanks! I was thinking the same thing.  ;D I wonder what the difference could be?

About $4.00 apiece  :)
-Bill G

LarryInMichigan

Most of the dollar stores around here sell phone jacks for $1.00 each.

Greg G.

Yes, check the Dollar Stores first.  They don't always have them though.  The one across the street from me only had the reverse type for use with a 4-prong jack.  Also try other places like Staples, Office Depot, Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyers.

I like the confusion over wording.  I would call those "4-prong to modular" because I'm thinking from the phone to the jack, but they word it the other way around because they're thinking from the jack to the phone.  Whatever.

Don't forget to factor in the shipping, which can nearly double the cost if you're only ordering one or two.  I priced the 318A one time, if I ordered 10 of them it would bring the price to $7.00 each.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

ntophones

Oh, thanks. I'll drop by some of the stores. I had no idea that these were available most places, still. One would think that not too many people used them anymore. Perhaps more people realize the beauty of these older phones!

I would have called them 4 prong to modular, also.
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

What I usually do is connect the end of the phone cord to the terminals inside the new modular jack and use a short modular cord between that jack and one of the many that I have installed around my house.  Only one of the phones which I bought came with a 4-prong connector, and it was the cheap Asian type, so I had no interest in preserving it.  If you really want to keep the 4-prong connector with your phone, my solution would not be for you.

Larry

ntophones

Larry,
Thanks for letting me know what to look for. I think this may be original equipment, but, I'll see when I get the phone.  I'll just do as you say, if I find this to be a recent plug. But, I may need some advice on connecting the ends. If it is original, I thought I'd try to keep the plug uncompromised for the future.
BTW, how do you tell if the plug is Asian or original? I guess I ought to start with that question?
--nto

LarryInMichigan

nto,

If it looks like cheap junk, usually ivory colored plastic, then it is not the original connector.  If you decide to use a modular jack, just connect the red wire from the phone to the red from the modular connector and the green to the green.  Depending on the type of phone and how the wires are connected inside of it, you may also want to connect the yellow to the green.  Take a look at how they are connected inside the current connector.  Even if you have the original 4-prong connector, you can remove it for now and put it back when you decide to sell the phone.

bwanna

donna

LarryInMichigan

rp2813

When I need to make a hard-wired phone connect to a modular jack, I buy an after-market surface mount modular  jack and use it in reverse.  I hard-wire the phone's mounting cord to the jack, then plug a modular cord into it, and the other end of the modular cord plugs into the active jack on the wall or baseboard.  The surface mount type of jack I use has a clean back and looks like a small box, with mounting cord coming out one side and a modular receptacle on the other.  It basically functions like an extension of the modular cord receptacle you'd find on the back of a more modern modularized phone.
Ralph