News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How to Remove Paint from a Repainted Originally Pink 500 Housing

Started by rtp129495, November 16, 2011, 11:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_stuff_hound

I've never tried this on plastic but it removes paint on metal quite well and seems quite gentle:
http://dawn-dish.com/en_US/dawn-power-dissolver.do

It's made to remove baked-on food from pots & pans but is a dandy paint remover. May be worth a try on a hidden area. My gut feeling is that it won't attack plastic....

If you try it, please let me know if it works!

GG

Re. any paint removers: When washing/rinsing off the paint remover and old paint, use lots and lots and lots of freely-flowing cold water (I'm hardcore for water conservation but this is one of those instances where you really do need to use a lot of water!).  This to prevent the muck congealing in the pipes and getting a clog started, from the sink or whatever, through to your sewer line, and out to the street sewer.   

If you have a septic tank, ask someone at the company that maintains & pumps out your septic tank, what is the safe way to handle this material.   

Also do not do this in the kitchen sink if you have a disposall (the chemicals may corrode the working parts) or use the sink for any food preparation process (such as washing veggies: you don't want toxic nasty stuff near your food prep areas). 

A laundry room sink is probably the best place for doing this, and if you want to save water, do a load of laundry and time it so the water discharge from the washer is what you use for washing/rinsing off the paint remover & loosened paint.  That'll be a nice gusher of water to send all that stuff all the way down the drain and out to the street.