News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 D1 w 534a set and sidetone reduction tag.

Started by Texas1880, April 03, 2019, 11:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas1880

So I'm assuming this 534a set was upgraded. Anyone recognize this setup and network? Phone works, dials, rings. Just wondering if I have the anti sidetone setup hooked up right

Edit::  I WAS WRONG ITS A SIDETONE SUBSET LOOK FOR THE COILS THEY TELL THE TALE

Ktownphoneco

It's difficult to determine is the subset is a side tone or anti side.     It doesn't have a network.     Networks didn't come along until later.    It has an induction coil, which "should" be underneath the wooden terminal board.    How many wires are connected to the induction coil ?     The mounting cord which normally connects the desk set to the subscriber set appears to have 4 conductors, and depending on how they're connected inside the desk set, could indicate that the desk set is wired for anti side tone, but the subset also needs to be equipped with the correct components and wired correctly, in order to provide anti side tone characteristics to the telephone.     The black conductor that's coming out of the mounting cord appears to be connected to the ground terminal on the wooden terminal board.   I've attached a schematic diagram for connecting a type B1 or D1 desk sets to an ant-side tone subset (assuming both of those desk sets are configured for anti side tone service). 

Jeff Lamb

Texas1880

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on April 04, 2019, 09:15:43 AM
It's difficult to determine is the subset is a side tone or anti side.     It doesn't have a network.     Networks didn't come along until later.    It has an induction coil, which "should" be underneath the wooden terminal board.    How many wires are connected to the induction coil ?     The mounting cord which normally connects the desk set to the subscriber set appears to have 4 conductors, and depending on how they're connected inside the desk set, could indicate that the desk set is wired for anti side tone, but the subset also needs to be equipped with the correct components and wired correctly, in order to provide anti side tone characteristics to the telephone.     The black conductor that's coming out of the mounting cord appears to be connected to the ground terminal on the wooden terminal board.   I've attached a schematic diagram for connecting a type B1 or D1 desk sets to an ant-side tone subset (assuming both of those desk sets are configured for anti side tone service). 

Jeff Lamb

The black is definitely connected to ground. The schematic indicates the proper connection for black is BK, which isn't marked on the wooden terminal, but C is, which is BK. So I will connect black to C, and go from there. Thanks! There is a tag stating "sidetone reduction" inside the subset, so I'm assuming it was anti sidetone enabled.

poplar1

Black wire from 202 is not used with 534A subset. Tape and store, or use the GND terminal since it is not connected to anything at this time.

"Sidetone reduction" and "anti-sidetone" are not the same thing. Anti-sidetone subsets have 2 capacitors as well as 3-winding induction coil (146B or 101A).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

For sidetone reduction (with a sidetone subset), you would reverse the red and yellow wires from the phone:

"For sidetone reduction, connect yellow to R and red to L2Y"

Texas1880

Quote from: poplar1 on April 05, 2019, 09:40:52 AM
For sidetone reduction (with a sidetone subset), you would reverse the red and yellow wires from the phone:

Thanks poplar, will try that tonight. I used this phone for some years when I was in my 20s, and it worked, but I was wondering if there was a better way. And what's left of the sidetone reduction tag is visible here. I will post pics of the coils and condenser numbers tonight as well.

Texas1880

So it's definitely a 46 induction coil and therefore a sidetone subset. Since the 202 has 4 conductors, that's why the black mounting cord was set to ground.
I'm wondering is this will be a better match to my B1 102, but I guess it doesn't matter, really. Both my 102 and 202 are 4 conductors, with the correct hookswitxh mounts. I just need an anti-sidetone subset if I want, or I can just use it as is.

Texas1880

202 photo for reference

Texas1880

I did the red and yellow swap. Sounds a bit better, but the volume is clearer and a bit louder. Maybe I'm imagining things. Either way it works fine.  Thanks again!

Edit. The set will not ring with this setup. Dunno why

Texas1880

More pics

Texas1880

Quote from: poplar1 on April 05, 2019, 09:40:52 AM

This did not work. Phone dialed, I can hear and talk, but no ring. Swapped em back to normal color, all good.

TelePlay

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on April 04, 2019, 09:15:43 AM
I've attached a schematic diagram for connecting a type B1 or D1 desk sets to an ant-side tone subset (assuming both of those desk sets are configured for anti side tone service). 

Looking at the schematic provided by Ktownphoneco above, in my limited knowledge of circuitry it seems to me the black ringer wire should be connected to K on the terminal board and not directly to L2. IIRC, the ringer circuit requires a capacitor to block the DC voltage of the talk circuit when off hook.

That would not be the case if the black ringer wire were connected directly to L2 - the ringer coils would drain off the DC talk current.

The revised circuit is attached but this is only my opinion. Others more capable of reading phone schematics may find the original circuit, black to L2, to be correct.

poplar1

Teleplay's correction of the black ringer wire to K is correct. However, this diagram is for an anti-sidetone subset such as 634A.

There is no K terminal in a 534A. Rather, the ringer connects red to L1 and black to C. There is a 4-conductor cord from the 202; it connects as follows:

Red to R
Green to GN
Yellow to L2-Y
(See photo of the original post in this topic.)
The black wire from the 202 is not used. You can insulate (tape) the spade tip of the black wire inside the subset.