News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 1D2 info

Started by 1MFNPhone, January 09, 2021, 04:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

It could be wired for coin first. There should be some info here that tells you what to change on the dial unit to get dial tone first. If you can't find anything, come back I have that info in my shop, just not handy right now.
KEN

1MFNPhone

Cool thanks. I did drop a quarter in there but nothing happened.

Key2871

Well no a quarter won't do anything because you don't have a coin trunk..
But I think that's what the issue is.
KEN

Payphone installer

A D set can not be wired for coin first it was dial tone first only. When you feed dial tone to tip and ring on the chassis you should get dial tone on the off hook. Make sure everything is plugged in. It could be a bad handset.

1MFNPhone

I checked all the wiring on the dial and hookswitch for proper placement. And it looks correct. I hooked up wires to tip and ring but no dial tone off-hook. When I call in from cell phone, the phone will ring, but when I lift the handset off-hook, the phone it keeps ringing. So I'm thinking I have trouble in the hookswitch. Im going to check the handset too to make sure there is audio.

HarrySmith

IIRC you will need to tie the coin relay open to have it working. I am not an expert but I recall something about the relay when I was working on one a while back.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea I'm thinking it's a bad handset my self.
So try the one you have on a standard telephone and see if that works.
And a close up shot of the dial unit to see what switches is has.
KEN

1MFNPhone

1MFNPhone

I hooked my 1d1 handset to my 500 and works good. So thats good

Key2871

Well not quite what I had in mind, but.
It looks as though it's a newer type with a plastic slide for lack of other name. It useually operates a series of micro switches to operate various things.
I have the same type in my set and have not had issues with those. I think I'd try a new handset, though I don't see how that would not allow the set from seizing the line on an incoming line.

I'm not well versed on the D series set. I'd like to hear payphoneinstaller come in on this and get his knowledge on a potential cause. Jim?
KEN

1MFNPhone

Thanks so much. Yea the hookswitch doesn't move freely. You have to take your finger and lift it up sometimes.

Key2871

Oh, well what I suggest is to use a dab of light grease, and dab it on either side that the peace slides in, and work it some. Then a drop of light oil on the pivot points on the leave on the dial unit, work it in. Then reinstall and connect it up and try it.
That may be the whole problem.
Do not use Vaseline, that is not the correct lubricant.
KEN

1MFNPhone

Got my hookswitch lever working slick. Pulled the dial mechanism out and its really dirty from sitting around by previous owner. Im going to check continuity on hookswitch switches and blow everything out good and retry

1MFNPhone

Well i cleaned everything good. Check hookswitch for continuity, everything seems in order. Hooked it all back up, and nothing. Still the same. Took volt meter and tested tip and ring and voltage was 48.8v,off hook still the same

Key2871

Did you check the handset and no dial tone.?
Every plug is in and well seated?

It could be a dial unit, or the chassis is bad.
The totalizer shouldn't make a difference, but is it plugged in or disconnected.
If it's plugged in try pulling the plug.

So it rings does it seize the line when the handset is removed? If not ( I can't remember what you said with out going way back) then I'd say the chassis is bad.
You can PM payphone installer, he left a post here a page or so ago. He most likely has one.

KEN