"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My New Monophone - Early AE 80

Started by makeyourownkarma, July 31, 2009, 03:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

makeyourownkarma

Hi all,

I seem to have a weekend project!  I found this cutie today and have been messing with it all afternoon (much to the dismay of people who expect me to be working).

I read your tutorials, moved the black ringer wire to what I think is the correct terminal (along with the original yellow cord wire)....still no ring.

Do I have a frequency ringer? There is no Hz marking.

Or, can you tell from the pic what I've done wrong?

Also - how do I know what model this is?  I am not sure where to find the number.  It is not the funky looking AE-40.

Thanks!

Phonesrfun

You have an AE-80 and the ringer looks like a straight line ringer, so once it gets wired correctly, it should work.  I am at work, so I can't look to see why your wiring may be incorrect.  Do you know how to read a diagram?  Is there a diagram inside the phone to refer to?

There are several others here that can also help out, and there are diagrams on the TCI (Telephone collectors International website)

-Bill
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Welcome to the forum makeyourownkarma.  What you have there is an Automtic Electric Model 80.  The ringer is a SL, or Straight Line ringer and will work on today's phone lines.

The wire change you spoke of is for the Western Electric and similar phones (with the 425B network).

If you give me a few minutes I'll open mine up and get the wiring for you.

I posted just after phonesrfun.  Here is the link to the TCI technical library.  Meanwhile I'll open up a phone and get the wiring pattern.  Sometimes for a beginner and even a veteran those diagrams can be difficult to follow.

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/ae80c.pdf

Dennis

JorgeAmely

Bill:

I think this is the schematic he needs:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/ae80c.pdf

Your phone is an AE80 with a rural dial. Kind of rare and a good way to start a collection.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Karma, what kind of plug are you using at the wall end of the line (mounting) cord?

Phonesrfun

Jorge, Yes, that is the diagram.  However, the diagram shows one end of the ringer and cap going to GND.  It should either be moved to L2, or L2 and GND should be strapped together.

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

makeyourownkarma

Wow!  You guys are fast. 

The end plug is a basic modern plastic clip-in (I guess I should learn the model numbers for these things).  I pulled it out of a cheap phone I had laying around.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance!!

Dennis Markham

Considering you're using a standard cord with a modular tipped end, it is like the cord I have on my similarly dated phone (by appearance).  My line cord has 4 wires.  The only ones necessary are red and green but if you have red, green and yellow connect them like this:

Green to terminal #8 on the phone.
Red to Terminal #10
Yellow to Terminal #9.

See if that works.

makeyourownkarma

Got it!  Black to terminal 8, red to i5!

Yaaaayyyy!!!!!

foots

Glad you got your phone working. The first thing I noticed is that rural dial - I have one on a Stromberg Carlson. Do you have a picture of your phone now that its back together?
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Karma, I take it my wiring didn't help you?  The red wire to 15 is the ringer wire, not a line cord wire.  Sorry if I confused you.  Glad you have it working.

makeyourownkarma

It definately did help, Dennis.  Thank you.

I think there may have been a wire in the wrong position to start with, which confused me a bit.

I'd say for a first attempt at getting a phone working, this was a great success!

I'm going to clean it up and take a pic in a few minutes.

Again...many thanks to all of you. 

Dennis Markham

Everyone here is glad to help.  We want you to become addicted like the rest of us.  Pretty soon you'll buy another phone, then another...................

makeyourownkarma

Here it is...

The body has a really good shine.

Dan

I do not have an AE80, do they sound like the AE90 wall phone? I was just curious because I have the wall version of this phone.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright