News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 'Trimline' Sticky Dial

Started by FABphones, January 28, 2019, 10:14:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

My ivory ITT 'Trimline' has arrived and sits nicely next to the black W.E. Trimline I already had.

The exterior is in good condition (modular), and only needed a wipe over with the anti-bac wipes, but the dial is sticky. On return thru 9 - 0. I am wary of taking this apart as I think I read they are sealed units and difficult to work on?

Meantime here it is with its new buddies in the ABS display unit.

* I really need to tidy up those line cords. Shame on me.  :-[
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RB

Nice phone.
I took mine apart, and will send dial to Steve for regrooving.
You prob could too.

FABphones

Thanks  :)

I would have liked to have found another W.E. but as these don't come up that often I grabbed this one. I do like to pair up my black phones with an ivory/cream buddy where ever possible  :D

Me a teeeny bit far away to send to Steve though  :(    9000 / 10000 miles (ish)

RB

Well. hopefully, somebody posted here a procedure.
try searchin for trim dial posts.

FABphones

Great info here from teleplay:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21052.msg215497
But after the last dial rewind catastrophe (RTT) that I still haven't sussed and fixed I daren't try it.
I am a wuss.  ;D

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

Quote from: FABphones on January 28, 2019, 11:42:43 AM
Great info here from teleplay:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=21052.msg215497
But after the last dial rewind catastrophe (RTT) that I still haven't sussed and fixed I daren't try it.
I am a wuss.  ;D

I forgot I posted that.

Here is a more detailed description of how to completely remove a Trimline dial that I recently sent to a member in a PM. Might as well post it here for posterity.

======================

If you want to take the dial out for cleaning and lubricating,, this may help.

The remove the dial, you have to first remove the Western Electric name plate (Image G) by very carefully putting a pointed object into the small hole (#1 in Image G) and carefully pushing to the center (arrow direction #2) to slightly bend the plastic plate until it clears the edge of the square  opening and pops out (go slowly to you don't break the name plate by over bending or have the pointed object come out and scratch the plastic name plate).

Once that cover is removed, you will see 2 screws (no image shown) holding the back cover onto the handset. Remove the screws and the back cover will come off exposing the handset internals.

Then, as shown in Image H, remove screws numbered 1, 2 and 3. That will allow you to carefully lift up and bend back the plastic printed circuit strip until you see the two screws 1 and 2 in Image I. Once those two screws are removed, the printed circuit strip can be bent back a bit more to expose the 3 screws (#1, 2 and 3 in Image J) holding the dial in place.

After removing those screws, the dial will lift out.

To remove the plastic cover over the dial gears, disengage the metal bar #1 in Image K, the bar is then removed and the plastic cover lifted off. The back of the dial is now exposed fully for cleaning and/or lubricating.

Then, turn the dial over and remove center plastic cover (#1 in Image M) by using a small, thin bladed flat screw driver. Place it in one of the 3 slots around the outside of the plate and pry up a bit, move to the next slot and do the same, etc, until the center pops off.

Once removed, you will see a 3 winged star retainer holding the finger wheel to the dial, the center of Image N. With the same small screw driver, move the star either way about 30° so the wings of the star are over the slots in the finger wheel, #1 in Image O, and the finger wheel will lift up and off, Image P.

Then, lift off the finger stop, #1 in Image Q.

To remove the number plate, the small metal ring is rotated until its 2 wings line up with the 2 slots of the metal piece holding it in place,(#1 in Image R) and the ring is then lifted up and off (#1 in Image S).

Once the ring is removed, the number plate, #1 in Image T, lifts up and off exposing the front side of the dial gears for cleaning and lubrication.

The dial is put back together and installed in the opposite way from how it came out and apart.

Scott

Excellent tutorial. Thanks.

Scott K.