"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dialing or Dialling

Started by dc4code, February 06, 2019, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc4code

Dialing or Dialling

I have seen this pronounced both ways every day and my spell checker does not care how I spell it out...

Jim Stettler

Quote from: dylanc4 on February 06, 2019, 07:26:20 PM
Dialing or Dialling

I have seen this pronounced both ways every day and my spell checker does not care how I spell it out...
Old school spelling is dialing.
JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Russ Kirk

Depends, was Tallulah Bankhead speaking?
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

robert_m

Well its pretty clear dialing is correct for US and our UK friends dialling:
|
noun
a plate, disk, face, or other surface containing markings or figures upon which the time of day is indicated by hands, pointers, or shadows, as of a clock or sundial.
a plate or disk with markings or figures for indicating or registering some measurement or number, as of pressure, number of revolutions, the frequency to which a radio is tuned, etc., usually by means of a pointer.
verb (used with object), di·aled, di·al·ing or (especially British) di·alled, di·al·ling.
to indicate or register on or as if on a dial.
to measure with or as if with a dial.
verb (used without object), di·aled, di·al·ing or (especially British) di·alled, di·al·ling.
to use a telephone dial; to dial a telephone: I keep dialing, but the line seems dead.
to tune in or regulate by means of a dial: to dial into the opera broadcast.

dc4code

Quote from: robert_m on February 07, 2019, 02:32:53 AM
Well its pretty clear dialing is correct for US and our UK friends dialling:
|
noun
a plate, disk, face, or other surface containing markings or figures upon which the time of day is indicated by hands, pointers, or shadows, as of a clock or sundial.
a plate or disk with markings or figures for indicating or registering some measurement or number, as of pressure, number of revolutions, the frequency to which a radio is tuned, etc., usually by means of a pointer.
verb (used with object), di·aled, di·al·ing or (especially British) di·alled, di·al·ling.
to indicate or register on or as if on a dial.
to measure with or as if with a dial.
verb (used without object), di·aled, di·al·ing or (especially British) di·alled, di·al·ling.
to use a telephone dial; to dial a telephone: I keep dialing, but the line seems dead.
to tune in or regulate by means of a dial: to dial into the opera broadcast.

Thanks!