"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hooking up a 1A2 System to a SC 1575

Started by WesternElectricBen, August 14, 2016, 11:25:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi all,

Recently, I finally found a nice example of a Stromberg Carlson 1575, after nearly two years of searching. Now, I would like to set it up to work with my 1A2 KSU. I was told that it can be connected, but it may need slight modifications. It has the original connection apparatus box, with the phone wiring already in it. Now, I need to hook up a 25 pair cable to it. So far, I have noticed that it has only 5 leads per line key, and this is different that my standard wired 66 block with 10 leads. As you can see below, there is a diagram that I am using to hook up the 1575. (Diagram via TCI library).

My problem is, how do I get from the 10 leads to 5 per line? Right now, I am not concerned with the lights, but I want to be able to get dial tone with each key.

If anyone can help steer me in the right direction, the help would be greatly appriciated. 
Ben

rdelius

I wired some of these for a 1A2 system,Still have them.Installed cords with amp connectors (missing the original terminal box)
.Wire the wires shown but I think the lamp grounds were tied together inside the set and used the lamp ground in line 1as a common.I have the "crab claws" in some of the earlier colors if you want to mount on the wall

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on August 14, 2016, 11:25:38 PM
So far, I have noticed that it has only 5 leads per line key, and this is different that my standard wired 66 block with 10 leads. As you can see below, there is a diagram that I am using to hook up the 1575. (Diagram via TCI library).

My problem is, how do I get from the 10 leads to 5 per line? Right now, I am not concerned with the lights, but I want to be able to get dial tone with each key.

A Western Electric keyset does not have 5 pairs (10 leads) per line! For example, a 2564 has a D30 or D34 mounting cord (30 or 34 leads for 5 lines + ringer + buzzer + spares). Perhaps you are thinking of the 66 blocks for the hangoff cables from a 584 panel? Those do have 5 pairs per line, but only 3 pairs are cross-connected to the stations for each line:

T  Tip      CO line  input to the key system
R  Ring    CO line  input to the key system

T   Tip     CO line output from 400 card to phone
R   Ring   CO line output from 400 card to phone

A             Answer lead
A1           A1 Ground

LG           Lamp Ground
L             Lamp

B1          Audible signal (buzzer or ringer)
R1           Audible signal (buzzer or ringer)

Only the boldface leads (3 pairs) go to the phone, 3 pairs for each line. However, the A1 lead is associated only with the first key on each set, whether it's a 6-button, 10, 12, 18, 20, 24 or 30-button set. So in a Western Electric set, there are 6 leads for the first key and 5 leads for all the rest. in a 6-button set, these 5 lines are on the first 15 pairs  (W-B/B-W through BK-SL/SL-BK).

Still, these 5 leads (T R A - LG L) don't correspond exactly to the 5 leads per line in the S-C 1575. As Robby pointed out, there are some ground leads that are common inside the 1575 that don't match the WE sets.

However, the Tip and Ring of each line (without holding or lamps) appear to be comparable:
T1 and  R1 would be the first line, T2/R2 line 2, etc.

S-C            S-C     
1575 Tel     Terminal    WE 2564
Cord              Box       Mtg. Cord

GR               T1         W-BL
  BR               R1         BL-W

RED             T2         W-BR
  BL-OR          R2         BR-W

BL-BLK         T3         R-O
  BL-WH            R3        O-R

OR-BLK        T4         R-SL
  OR-WH         R4        SL-R

GR-BLK         T5        BK-G
  GR-WH          R5        G-BK

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

In short, thank you!

You have confirmed some of my suspicions: that some wires are shared for each line and the indicated tip/ring for each line. My next step, as mentioned earlier, is to hook up the tip/ring for each line.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Well, it sure has been a while, but I am slowly working on this.

I have the wires hooked up as poplar1 suggested; however, at this time nothing appears to work. Meaning, I am not getting dial tone when a line is hooked up to my 1a2 nor transmit/receive.

Any ideas on the next step here?
Ben

compubit

I would start by making sure that a standard R/T work on the network on this phone (taking the switching out of the equation - not being familiar with the S/C design).

Once that is done, I would trace using an Ohmmeter to make sure nothing is accidentally shorted or open.

After that, I'd start wiring to get 1 line working, then a second (without the 1A2) being able to switch between them (obviously without Hold or lights). Once that's done start adding in the 1A2 equipment.

That would be my plan of attack.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

rdelius

I have wired several and will try to pull one out of storage.the T,R and L should wire the same as a we set.All Lamp grounds (commons) will be tied together. The A lead on WE is H on the SC you will need to common all the other leads on the other side of the hold circuit A1.Use the same lamps. I put a salvaged amp cord on my sets because the box with the terminals was missing.

Babybearjs

I noticed that the A-Lead is known as "Answer" interesting.....Why haven't I heard that before..... what other terminology don't we know about concerning phones...
John

Victor Laszlo

"...what other terminology don't we know about concerning phones..."

I imagine quite a lot, assuming that you never had the advantage of having worked for TPC.

How about the "balance" lead? or the "E & M" leads? 

Or how about sealing current, spudger, line load control, and tramp glass?

J-hook, P-tie, ram's horn, B-connector...?

Why aren't manhole covers square?

LARP? 

Dave F

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on October 08, 2016, 10:43:14 PM
Why aren't manhole covers square?
Is there anybody out there who really doesn't know why manhole covers are round and not square?!!

DF

compubit

Quote from: Dave F on October 08, 2016, 11:11:02 PM
Is there anybody out there who really doesn't know why manhole covers are round and not square?!!

DF
You had to have just been reading my mind!!!

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

rdelius

A round manhole cover cannot fall through the hole but a square or rectangular one can

Victor Laszlo

Thank you, Mr Helpful. I was hoping to find out how many people DIDN'T know the answer.

How about the other questions?

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: compubit on October 08, 2016, 07:44:15 PM
I would start by making sure that a standard R/T work on the network on this phone (taking the switching out of the equation - not being familiar with the S/C design).

Once that is done, I would trace using an Ohmmeter to make sure nothing is accidentally shorted or open.

After that, I'd start wiring to get 1 line working, then a second (without the 1A2) being able to switch between them (obviously without Hold or lights). Once that's done start adding in the 1A2 equipment.

That would be my plan of attack.

Jim

Sounds like a good plan. From what you are saying, and from what I have guessed, that I should be getting dial tone right now (if properly wired through) with how I have it hooked up (like a single line phone)?

Ben

Ben

Doug Rose

Quote from: Victor Laszlo on October 09, 2016, 02:38:48 PM
Thank you, Mr Helpful. I was hoping to find out how many people DIDN'T know the answer.

How about the other questions?
Victor.....you ask a question but do not want the answer?

I have one, why don't Catfish have kittens!......Curley Howard
Kidphone