News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial ID? And where to oil.

Started by recrum, November 12, 2011, 03:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recrum

Hi all.  I'm trying to figure it if I'm right on this, and it is in fact the AE 24 dial.  It's in the AE 40.  After reading through there catalogs they offered a couple different dials for that phone.  I want to  try to repair this one myself.  So could someone please help me on which points to oil.  I saw a picture on here that had the areas circled but now i can't find it.

JorgeAmely

You can check out this album I made some time ago for an AE80 phone which uses a very similar dial. I suggest you practice with an old, unwanted dial first.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricDialOverhaul#

In the album I mention the places where oil should be applied.

The trickiest part of the overhaul is the removal and installation of the main spring.
Jorge

GG

Fortunately AE dials are remarkably easy to disassemble and reassemble.

The main thing is to observe carefully the way it all went together first, and be gentle about it.  If you do two or more at once that are of reasonably similar vintage, swap their governors or governor cups among them to bring new surfaces into play and produce more even performance (you'll hear the difference in the sound of the dial). 

A dedicated toothbrush, liquid dishwashing detergent, and lukewarm water, are excellent for cleaning dial parts.  Let everything dry before reassembly.  And apply oil in tiny quantities with a toothpick or similar object (I use the tip of a tiny screwdriver).

Never get oil on the inside of a governor cup or on the flybars of a governor, or if you do, take them out and clean them again to get it off. 

In my experience, AE dials are easy but they need adjustment more often than WE dials.  WE dials rarely need the whole routine but they're more difficult to disassemble completely.  If you get good at doing AE dials, GPO dials are easy too.  Ericsson dials take different technique but are also pretty easy, though beware of the mainspring under the cup behind the dial fingerwheel. 

recrum

i did it, i did it!! I disassebled my first dial.  And yes the main spring is tricky.  So thank you for the heads up on that.  Did AE make the 24 with slight differences through the years?  I have two but not completely identical.  The clip for the dial porclain is slightly different and a couple other tiny little differences.  I'm just one of those kind of people that notice the goofy little things, and want to learn all I can at identification and dating these wonderful treasures.

kleenax

Quote from: recrum on November 12, 2011, 03:51:49 PM
Hi all.  I'm trying to figure it if I'm right on this, and it is in fact the AE 24 dial.  It's in the AE 40.  After reading through there catalogs they offered a couple different dials for that phone.  I want to  try to repair this one myself.  So could someone please help me on which points to oil.  I saw a picture on here that had the areas circled but now i can't find it.

It's a grandson of an AE type 24 actually. If you note that number stamped on the back, that is the model # of the dial. If you want to make it into a more "type 24ish" dial, there is a very small spring/clip/wire on that pawl (look closely; you can barely see it, and it is fine as a hair).  Anyway, if you pull that spring out and discard it, the dial will make that "clicky" sound of an early type 24 dial. I happen to like that sound, so I pull all of these little hair springs out of my dials.

Additionally, if you can afford $25, and OUTSTANDING dial cleaner can be had at Harbor Freight. You can actually fit about 3 dials into it at a time, although one is best. It clean out gunk that you never even knew was there!  And, you should see the job it does on clear plastic finger-wheels; Amazing!

http://www.harborfreight.com/ultrasonic-cleaner-3305.html

I just use about 1/2 teaspoon of their ultrasonic cleaner in it, combined with the hottest water that you can handle. Rinse all parts very well in clear water afterwards, and then I blow-dry all parts before re-assembling and oiling in the designated areas.

Lastly, you may want to get yourself a dial governor adjustment tool as well. Sometimes, that is all it takes to get a dial working is to simply adjust the governor blades a bit. I'm not home or I would post a pic or 3 of the tool in question.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

recrum

Thank you for the heads up that harbor freight carries that.  I was looking at that same one on amazon, but I have a local harbor freight so it will save me on shipping.

GG

In the reviews people are saying that they use distilled water and dish detergent.  Do you also recommend using distilled water? 

And I take it they mean powdered dish detergent, since the liquid would probably turn into a gusher of foam. 

DavePEI

Quote from: kleenax on November 13, 2011, 03:11:22 PM
Lastly, you may want to get yourself a dial governor adjustment tool as well. Sometimes, that is all it takes to get a dial working is to simply adjust the governor blades a bit. I'm not home or I would post a pic or 3 of the tool in question.

First of all, I agree with your comments about ultrasonic cleaning. I have used an ultrasonic cleaner for years now. I use L&R #111 Ultrasonic Ammoniated Watch Cleaning Solution based on my theory that a dial is basically a clockwork mechanism and therefore it should be safe to use. Regardless of whether I am correct, I have always found it does a wonderful job, and leaves a dial looking and once lubricated, working just like new!

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/ultrasonic.html

Secondly, I have never seen a dial governor adjusting tool.  When you do this, could you place a note and link to the photo in the Tool forum as well?

Thanks,

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

flingwing1969

Wonderful work Jorge.  I hope you don't mind that I made a .pdf of your photo essay on the AE Dial - it could be a great reference tool for us.