News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 293: WE 1965 Pink 1712B Princess Home Interphone - Ended 09-24-17

Started by TelePlay, September 17, 2017, 07:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compubit

A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

TelePlay

Not sure what to do here. One buyer retracted two of his bids early this morning. As such, the current bid is now $102.50, quite a bit lower than the $810 it was yesterday.

Seeing the retracted bids, two of them, which were $1,000 and a not so surprising $30,000, leaves the high bidder as c***- ( 538 ) who by seeing the retracted bids exposes his high bid of about $800.

I guess the best thing to do is to offer another second guess to anyone who has already placed a second guess (all two of you).

Or better yet, I will let anyone change their guesses without counting or limits. As such you can change your guess 10 times as long as the last guess or guess change is submitted at least 24 hours before the auction ends. Just put your revised guess as a new reply so I don't miss it (I don't scan existing replies for changes).

I've often wondered how high those "got to have at any price so will bid high" snipes and early contests bids that end up winning really are. Even if a mistake was made, but I doubt it, $30,000 is a number I've considered as being an option of one really wants a phone and can afford to pay for it goes in with to insure winning the phone.

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

19and41

I think I'll stay with my initial guess.  It's Hard telling where things will end once the sniping starts.  :)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

I think I will return to my original number of $850.00.
I may adjust that in the next 3 days!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

In light of Mr MoneyBags getting cold feet I will revise mine to $700.00
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

A new bidder has surfaced who with 5 bids has raised the price to $205.00, not topping the exposed high bid posted above. The buyer who retracted their bid has not bid.

Question to the eBay experts:  If you retract a bid, can you still bid on the item after that or are they locked out of that auction?

TelePlay

This is the wackiest auction contest I've seen/done.

Having bid on this phone when it was first listed, is that why I see the retracted bids? Are they not visible to those who did not bid on the phone? Don't know.

Anyway, it's up to $670 as of now and the buyer that placed the $800 bid 3 days ago is still the top bidder. Two more buyers came in and have been bidding it up but have not yet topped that $800 bid.

Two and a half days to go so that leaves a day and a half to get your first, second, third or whatever guess in.

Given the wide open guesses, the deadline for last guesses will be exactly 24 hours before the auction ends. That would be Saturday at 12:51:22 PM PDT (3:51:22 PM Eastern DST).

I've been in touch with the seller and he's shaking his head and laughing at this auction as well. This will be one interesting auction to watch end. Don't have a clue what 5 bidders plus a few in the weeds waiting for the last 10 seconds and the 61 watchers will do the the final price.

Time will tell . . .

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

$1,411

That's a wrap on this contest. Exactly 24 hours to the end of the auction so the guessing/changing window is now closed.

Quite a range of guesses. Should be interesting to see how this ends.

TelePlay

And the winner of Auction Contest #293 is Duffy who with the 18th entry into the contest offered the winning guess of $888.00 giving him his 2nd auction contest win. A win long time in coming since his first win in #186 which makes it all the sweeter for him. So, a big congratulations go out to Duffy for another CRPF Auction Contest win and for moving up one rung in the Contest Standings.

This roller coaster auction saw its ups and downs and ups but at end time, it finished without even one whimper. The phone started the day at $670 and stayed there a new buyer entered with a bid that topped the already exposed high bid by c***- of $800 thanks to the bid retraction of that $30,000 high bid by t***a. Looking at the retractions, that buyer placed a $1,000 bid 2 days after he placed the $30,000 bid, retracted them both on the 20th and never came back to the auction. Might have been a mistake or price fixing. With a feedback score of 3110, I'd lean to mistake but I don't know. In the end, the phone was won by e***l ( 230 ) with a  high bid topping $880 place about a half hour before the auction ended and then upped the high bid about 15 minutes before end time. There were no snipes which surprised me so when the wheel of fortune stopped for the seller, it was  e***l ( 230 ) who took the phone home for $910. The auction saw 7 buyers placing 22 bids.

Check out the updated Contest Standings to see who's who through 293 contests and the latest additions to the CRPF Hall of Fame

Thanks again to all who played. As always, there is only one way to get on the winner's board or move up a rung - you have to play to win.