News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

D-178585

Started by poplar1, July 02, 2013, 10:54:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

First I thought this was a black 302 with an after-market ivory "Colorphone" kit. Then I noticed the right plunger was different, apparently for excluding other extensions (402 set).

Actually, it is apparently a D-178585 set, according to a typewritten label on the bottom of the phone.

Does anyone have any information on the D-178585?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on July 02, 2013, 10:54:19 AM
First I thought this was a black 302 with an after-market ivory "Colorphone" kit. Then I noticed the right plunger was different, apparently for excluding other extensions (402 set).

Actually, it is apparently a D-178585 set, according to a typewritten label on the bottom of the phone.

Does anyone have any information on the D-178585?
Haven''t run across anything on it anywhere but will keep my eyes open. Nice and very different find!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

paul-f

Some of the other visible components suggest similarity with a 309.

Perhaps we can guess its heritage from the components, markings and dates.

Is there a mounting code on the lower back inside housing edge?

Numbers on components?

Dates on components and bottom plate?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Housing marked H5, dated 8 18 50 3
B3A ringer---- 9/50
101A Induction Coil -- I 50
195-type condenser (2 leads only)
346B Vacuum Tube
37B Varistor---9-50
5H dial with 150B number plate
61A filter--III 50 (filter bracket covers the date on the base)
F1 handle---"20" [2/50]
HA1 receiver--2/21/50
F1 transmitter---10-49-I
H3C handset cord---4-0 H3C 50
Resistor between L2 terminal (on block) and circular bracket near R on the induction coil--other end of resistor taped and stored
(mtg. cord missing)

Lifting the right plunger disconnects the transmitter, which creates a monitor circuit. (Like Captain Beefheart, you can answer your phone before it starts ringing.)

Both the bracket for the 61A filter and the bracket next to the induction coil are riveted to the base.  There is brown paint on and around the two base mounting screws and the screw that holds the condenser bracket.

So what is the purpose of the brown paint? And what is the other bracket for?

paul-f

So, the set apparently started life as a 306.

It would be interesting to start with a 306 wiring diagram and note the differences with your set.

I don't see on-line copies of the following, which cover the 306:
   C38.559   (502-400-404)
   C38.560   (502-400-405)

Perhaps a post on the TCI Listserv would turn up copies and some more suggestions.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Babybearjs

I have a phone close to this... if I remember correctly, the model number was a 302-AC. but the one shown here has the partyline ringer setup... (thus the vacuum tube)  its definitly a custom version of the 302AC   
John

poplar1

Quote from: Babybearjs on July 03, 2013, 05:06:38 PM
I have a phone close to this... if I remember correctly, the model number was a 302-AC. but the one shown here has the partyline ringer setup... (thus the vacuum tube)  its definitly a custom version of the 302AC   

Thanks for the clue. I haven't looked under the aftermarket cover to see if anything is written there. The 302AC (H13), modified 307 (H7) and 306G (H14) all have instructions to lift plunger to dial or talk, according to Paul's site (paul-f.com).

However, this set is wired so that there *is* dial tone when going off hook. Lifting the plunger disconnects the transmitter, thus removing dial tone.

poplar1

Here's an email I received from the seller:                       

"I do believe this person was a Bell Labs employee but I didn't see any paperwork for this phone at all. There were other items such as a testing hand set and a recording device which might have been connected at some time. When I found the phone there wasn't any other device connected to it. I will look around and see if I have anything else from that estate that might help."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: elec2003
Subject: Other: poplar1 sent a message about Vintage Bell System Western Electric F1 cream Bakelite Rotary Dial Desk Phone #251295304699

Dear elec2003,

Hi, I rec'd the phone yesterday. I was wondering if the estate you bought this from was a telephone company or Bell Labs or ATT employee. There is a sticker on the bottom of the phone "D-178585." The phone has features not found on other sets, for example, the right plunger lifts to activate or disconnect something.

The ivory cover is not something that the phone company would have provided or even allowed. So, that just adds to the confusion.

Did you get any other phones or paperwork about phones at the sale?

Thanks

Babybearjs

A 302 with a MUTE key.... Hmmmm I'll have to try that....
John

poplar1

Actually, it does more than mute; it would disconnect a call if you were on it. If you unscrew the transmitter cap on a 302 and remove the transmitter, you'll see what I mean.