News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help? 684C subsets; no ringer?

Started by Come in Nighthawk, June 26, 2010, 11:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come in Nighthawk

Hiddy-ho!  Another newbie question, pls?   ;)

I won an auction for a W.E. 684C subset.  When I got it, it had a silver "box" ("can?") strapped down (the capacitor/condenser?), and this was wired flimsily by one fading light brown cloth cord to the "coil" (?).  It is missing a set of bells (the ringer?).

I thought, okay, someone in the past cannibalized it...  But, I was reading a few pages in Meyer's _Old Time Telephones!_ (2005), having finally gotten past drooling at the pretty (albeit b/w) pictures!!  :D  A table of 534 subsets on page 72 notes that the 534C HAD no ringer (no footnote to explain "why").  In the accompanying text, Meyer said the suffixes "generally" applied to the 584, 634, and 684 subsets.  SO, is that it?  This puppy never CAME with a ringer??

Umm, if so, then can anyone explain WHY?  What good is a subset (and a phone), with no ringer??  Was it designed for "The Great KarnaK" (aka "Carnac the Magnificent"), and his fellow mind-readers????   ;D

Thanks for any help!!

PS: If I want to "fix" my flimsy wires, do I have to invest in a solder gun??  :o  The condenser-thingy doesn't have screws to which to afix wires...  :-\